Ch 1: The Iron Cross

A/N: Hello, everyone! I'd like to mention that this story is entirely a product of my imagination. I've drawn inspiration from Filipino Mythology to craft this tale. For those curious, this is a fan fiction crossover between Juan Dela Cruz and Highschool DxD. If you're wondering about Juan Dela Cruz, simply Google it, and you'll find more information.)

----This Chapter is written by Void-King---

The sunset of a new day has risen from the Land of the Orient. In a simple yet spacious house in Quiapo, Manila, in one of its rooms lies a sleeping girl.

The rays of the sun light start to penetrate the glass window of her home. The girl feels the warmth of the sun's rays and slowly opens her eyes, revealing her brown irises.

*Yawn* The girl wakes up from her slumber and immediately goes to clean herself up to prepare for this big day.

Since she knows that today is the day her mother and father will arrive in the Philippines, she will also accompany her grandfather and grandmother to the airport to greet her parents.

"Lola, Lolo, good morning po!"
(Translation: Grandma, Grandpa, good morning po!)

Reika greeted her Grandfather and Grandmother a Good morning with a smile, she then takes a seat at the dining table to join her grandparents for breakfast.

Their breakfast consists of traditional fried rice with eggs and tocino, a meat dish famous in the Philippines. Together, it's called Tocilog.

After eating, she decides to help with the house chores and then changes her clothes, getting ready to leave their house to go to the airport since today was the day that Her Father and Mother Will be returning From Japan.

***

On the way to the airport, Reika is seated in the back of their car, which is driven by her grandfather. Despite being 62 years old, her grandfather is still strong and able to do many things that young people often do.

After a while, they arrive at the airport and wait for her parents to arrive.

After a while, two people come into view. One is a tall man in his 30s with a muscular build, wearing a suit. Next to him is a woman who is around 26 to 28 years old, with short black hair.

Upon seeing the two, Reika immediately runs toward the man and hugs him.

"Dad, I missed you."

"Oh, I missed you too, my little sweetheart."

"Mom, I missed you too."

Reika is happy to see her father and mother, but she's even happier to see her father since she's a daddy's girl.

After a while, they return home, and everyone in the neighborhood welcomes the couple back, as it's been 10 years since they returned from Japan.

At night, the whole family has dinner together and talks about their lives while they were away.

"So, Reika, you're going to be in your second year this upcoming school year, right?" her father asks.

"Yes," Reika replies while chewing her pork adobo.

"I see. Reika, do you remember our talk before?"

"Talk?"

"You know that you will attend your second year of high school in Japan."

Reika Then remembered the conversation that she had with her mother that she will continue her Study on Japan.

"But... Mom, I already told you that I want to continue my studies here," Reika replies to her mother, expressing that she doesn't want to study abroad.

However, her mother doesn't allow her and informs her that she has already been enrolled in a school in Japan.

Hearing this, Reika doesn't continue to argue. She's saddened that she'll have to leave the place where she has spent almost all of her life, the land she considers her one and only home.

At night, she stares at the ceiling of her bedroom, unable to sleep as she contemplates what life will be like outside of the Philippines.

While thinking about it, she decides to head downstairs and go to the bookshelf in their living room to find a book to clear her mind.

While looking for a book to read, she notices a book she hadn't seen before. She tries to pull the book from the shelf, but she can't take it off. She applies more strength, but it doesn't come off. Instead, she hears a noise of something opening from the back of the bookshelf.

Contemplating what she should do, her curiosity gets the better of her. She decides to move the bookshelf, and behind one of the shelves, she finds a secret door.

She gulps as she navigates the dark stairs of the room.

"Ang dilim naman dito!"
(Translation: It's so dark in here!)

Reika walks straight, and at the end of the dark room, she sees something unexpected-an iron cross glowing in a dazzling white light.

"No way!" Reika exclaims in astonishment. She had thought of it as a mere legend, a story her grandfather made up, but now it's right in front of her-a weapon that can change into different forms, a weapon used by the Tagabantay (Guardian) to protect humankind against the forces of darkness.

The weapon passed down through generations, one of the two original holy weapons in the world, a weapon given to humans to protect themselves by an unknown entity. The iron cross is now right in front of its new owner.

Reika walks towards the cross on the wall.

As she gets closer, she remembers her grandfather's story that the iron cross has the ability to fly toward the user.

With that in mind, Reika closes her eyes and raises her hand towards the cross, attempting to summon it into her hands. She waits, not expecting anything to happen. Contrary to her expectations, the iron cross flies toward her hand.

"W... wow," she says in astonishment, looking at the iron cross.

"Apo!" a voice rings out behind her, and she sees her grandfather Juan standing there, looking at her and at the iron cross in her hand.

"Lolo! I, uh..."

'Shit, I'm doomed.'

Reika sweats as she tries to come up with an excuse. While she's thinking, her grandfather looks at her with a worried expression. He knows he can't hide the truth from Reika any longer.

-End-