「Prologue」

Freedom. A simple, yet complex word. A concept both simple and intricate.

By definition, it is a multifaceted philosophical concept characterized by the absence of external constraints, coercion, or undue influence that might hinder an individual or collective entity's capacity to exercise autonomous agency, make choices, and pursue actions in alignment with their intrinsic will and values.

In that sense, it would be probably accurate to say that I wasn't free most of the time; I was forced to enroll in a special high school as it was the only way to escape the hands of my so-called father, I was later threatened by my trusted teacher to work towards Class A when I had no immediate interest at that, and just when I thought my luck couldn't get any worse, I discovered that someone knew my identity.

That can probably summarize the misfortunes of the first half of my first year.

Of course, you, dear reader, who knows my tale inside out, can surely concur. Isn't that right?

Anyway, let's return to the heart of the matter.

The time when I truly felt that I was free again was when I confirmed the lies of my beloved sensei as a result of the intervention of the chairman when my father tried to make me voluntarily drop out.

At that moment, the job of guiding Class 1-D to the top was no longer mine—It was Horikita's. I was finally able to enjoy my remaining time as I wished. That was until my fight with the dragon-boy and the battle with the princess of Class A. Unfortunately, the latter's result was my loss, thanks to Tsukishiro's handiwork.

The second year was also interesting. With the absence of Horikita Manabu, the “Delinquent clown” roamed unrestrained. Tsukishiro also sent some White Room subjects from the 5th generation as well as 20 million bounty over my head to expel me. Because of that, I got stabbed.

Well, more like I stabbed myself if you know what I mean.

There was also the 2nd island exam, where I had to fight 2 special agents and probably professional assassins without injuring them or letting them injure me, else I would be expelled. With a little help from my senpai, a capable girl named Kiryuuin Fuuka, and two teachers, I overcame the danger. Without them, I didn't know what would have happened.

I am not lying here, no, not at all. I assure you, I'm recounting facts.

At any rate, you are probably curious about the reason behind this strange prologue.

The answer is simple, really.

My life was flashing before my eyes. Ironically enough, the flashback didn't start from my early life.

Is that surprising? Does that startle you?

It didn't faze me.

Flashbacks during near-death moments were recognized phenomena, suggested to be driven by the brain's attempt to recollect stored memories in crisis.

That, however, contradicts the case I found myself in. If that hypothesis was correct, the memories of the White Room wouldn't be excluded.

But before I could dig deeper into that, I suddenly found myself in an endless white forest, lying on my back on the snow. The cold sensations traveled to my brain instantaneously, bringing me to my senses.

Just a few moments ago, I was–

Trying to remember where exactly I was, my brain started hurting me. The more I tried, the greater the pain became. Even with my inhuman level of pain tolerance, it started to affect my thinking process.

Giving up on the idea for the time being, I sighed and started analyzing my surroundings. In response to the ever-so-familiar white color that painted the scenery, I unconsciously returned to the person I once was.

It was rather a simple defense mechanism I grow accustomed to.

Before I could gather my thoughts regarding my sudden transportation, a metal-like scent entered my nostrils. The scent of blood.

Directing my gaze to where I assumed it was coming from, I walked forward with silent steps and a pair of calculated eyes.