Chapter 20: Enemy of My Enemy

CW: blood, violence, serious injury

The throne room was engulfed in a cacophony of shouts and conversations. Amidst the chaos, the Koopa King stood resolute, his arms firmly crossed, and his head cocked to the side. The terrified citizens of Kong Country, seeking refuge in Chief Cranky's abode, watched on with trepidation. From a distance, Luigi could be seen tending to his brother's injured face, gently pressing an ice bag against his swollen cheek. Idaten had not taken kindly to the unprovoked kick. Sensing the situation's urgency, Cranky and Donkey Kong skillfully diffused the tension.

"EVERYONE SETTLE DOWN!" shouted the chief.

DK stepped forward. "Listen here, lizard breath. Rool was chased out of Kong Country a decade ago," he growled. "And none of this suits his style."

Bowser chuffed. "Stealing food and other supplies to weaken a nation is a pretty standard Rool tactic," he replied. "I'm certain he frightened the Chain Chomp and somehow got the eel into the lagoon. Only a coward like him would pull a stunt like that."

"Rool hasn't been seen in years!" DK persisted.

"That's because he ran to the Darklands," Bowser growled. "He couldn't take over Kong Country, so he set his eyes on a kingdom he thought was weak."

Silence.

DK looked at his father, who was gripping his throne. After a moment, the chief stood up. "Rool did survive the battle; there's no point in denying it."

The elderly ape leaned on his cane, observing the fatigued expressions of his subjects. Even Bower appeared worn out, despite his limited exposure to combat. However, this weariness seemed to have plagued him for quite some time. The king had merely ceased concealing it, if only for a fleeting moment. Cranky sighed, "Can you tell us about your battle against Rool?" he asked.

Bowser felt a surge of tension upon hearing the request. A discerning eye would notice his hands trembling ever so slightly. He swiftly adjusted his position, discreetly tucking his hands beneath his arms. Bowser took a deep breath, "I'm assuming some time after you defeated him, he reorganized his forces and started his invasion on my home," he began. "Rool basically did the same thing: weakened my kingdom, caused mass panic, then moved in for the kill."

Cranky narrowed his eyes. "You managed to defeat Rool but didn't incarcerate him... Why?"

A deep rumble built in his throat. "After thrashing him, he ran out of the capital's safety zone; I didn't believe he would get out of the Darklands alive. After all, he has no idea how to survive out there. Plus, I had something more important to take care of," Bowser responded curtly.

"What was so important?" suddenly asked Mario.

He stood up, holding the ice pack to his face. Mario glared at Bowser, demanding an answer. The king chuffed again, "My son was born. Is that a good enough answer for ya?"

Mario's expression dropped. Luigi stood up and grabbed his arm, silently scolding him. Cranky returned his attention to Bowser, "... So, how do you best recommend we defeat him?"

Gasps and protests erupted from the council but Cranky quickly stopped them by harshly tapping his cane. "King Bowser is also aware of Rool's tactics so he's a viable source of information. He can help us," he said harshly.

Muttering between agreement and disagreement began. DK knuckle-walked toward Bowser. "Honestly, I don't care whose help we're getting; as long as I get to never see that ugly mug of his."

"Uglier," Bowser corrected. "I fucked up his eye as a parting gift."

The Kong chuckled upon hearing the grim news. It was somewhat satisfying to witness their unanimous consensus..., even if it revolved around their mutual disdain for the notorious King K. Rool. Bowser uncrossed his arms, "It's still light out and patience is not his strong suit. With the chain chomp out of commission, he's probably heading toward us as we speak."