Chapter 22: Comfort in the Dark

CW: Blood, slight gore (bc of open wound), medical innacuracy

"Kamek, put that down!"

"STEP ASIDE, LUIGI!"

Luigi couldn't believe how quickly everything went south. Once they put Bowser on the table, Kamek retrieved a device that could only be described as a blowtorch from his sleeve. He had attempted to approach the injured king, but Luigi threw himself over him, protecting him with his own body.

And now the two were at odds. Candy tried to get behind him, but Kamek wrapped himself and the operation table with a barrier. Luigi grimaced. "Kamek, what are you doing?" he asked.

The wizard scowled. "I'm going to cauterize his wounds," he replied blankly.

"Are you out of your mind?!" exclaimed Candy.

"It'll seal the wound quickly-" Kamek tried to say but the blonde Kong shot him down.

"And absolutely destroy any salvageable tissue! Cauterize that wound of that size and he'll never wear his shell again. You're just going to cause him more pain."

Kamek flinched at her harsh words. Despite the thick lenses of his glasses, the panic was written all over his eyes, explaining the fact that he was not thinking long-term in regard to Bowser's treatment. Luigi loomed over him, listening to his labored breaths and pained groans. This argument was just furthering his suffering. 

Luigi steeled his tone, realizing that Kamek was acting out of desperation rather than malice. "I know you want what's best for Bowser, but you are panicking right now. Let Candy treat him her way," he said firmly. "She's the best healer Kong Country's got. He'll be okay."

Despite the stern tone, Luigi was not reprimanding Kamek; he was trying to make him see reason. Luigi could understand his panic because he was feeling it too; not just for Bowser, but for his brother who was out there. But, as much as the anxiety was stabbing at him, he ignored it. He had to. Because then he would be utterly unable to help his friend.

After a short stare-down, the royal advisor to a shaky breath and dropped the blowtorch. Candy snatched it, then re-focused on the task at hand.

The healer removed the bag from her shoulders and began pulling out medicine bottles and other supplies. Another Kong entered the room with two basins of water. They quickly put them on another table, then swiftly left. Candy began washing her hands. "Luigi, I'm going to need your help," she said.

Luigi stepped forward. "How can I-I help?" he asked. "I'm going to be honest with you, I don't know the first thing about surgery or whatever you're going to do."

"I'll talk you through the process. You just need to help me keep the gash clean as I stitched up."

"What does that mean?" suddenly asked Kamek.

Candy and Luigi looked at each other. Do... Do they not use sutures in the Darklands? Is cauterization their only means of treating wounds such as these? They knew that the kingdom was surrounded by lava and fire, but they never imagined the people would put it to use in such a way.

However, that was a matter to be addressed some other day.

The Kong put on a pair of black gloves, then motioned to the second basin with a nod. Luigi gulped as he peeled off his dirt and blood-stained gloves, then cast them aside. The human quickly washed his hands (ignoring the fact that the water turned slightly red) and put on the new gloves. Candy moved to Bowser's side. "Kamek, on the table, there's a green bottle and a rag. Grab them," she ordered.