Last Day

LAST DAY

THE ONLY THING THAT I could seem to concentrate on was the time ticking down until the bell rang out and the lecture would be over so that summer could begin. Everyone I had spoken to had planned on returning home for the summer, the place that they would probably call sanctuary compared to their shared dorm rooms. Luckily, I was sharing a dorm room with my friends and not with total strangers.

Most of the time, Gabrielle was gallivanting around with her boyfriend and going to frat parties while Rosie and I stayed in the dorm room, with my head hidden in textbooks studying while she did whatever she did. I just wanted to pass my second year of college. I don't know what Gabrielle's idea of college was, but partying was the last objective on my list of many things to do.

Finally, when the lecture was up, a chorus of anticipated sighs of relief broke out in the lecture hall, the noise concluding that the final semester had ended for another year.

This whole week has been nothing but a mass of stress. On top of the mounting pressure, I somehow managed to form a plan for the summer, an idea that would be too late to go back on. I have already handed over my resignation to my job, and with the second year of college finished, I had no choice but to stick with my original schemes for the summer break.

After I packed my laptop and notebook into my satchel bag, I stood up from the chair as my eyes scanned the room while people filed on through the doors, leaving me to follow close behind. I chewed the end of my pen when I walked down the corridor towards the exit to get out onto the courtyard grounds. I just wanted to get to the dorm room to drop off my stuff and head out to the beach for the rest of the day.

That was until my eyes landed on Marcus as he approached me with a glowing smile, his light brown hair looking a little too ruffled even for him. He threw an arm over my shoulder to pull me into his side while we walked towards the shared dorm rooms.

"So, huge party tonight on the beach. The Omega Knights are throwing it, which means it will be A-Mazing." He singsonged, trying to emphasise the word, which only made me roll my eyes.

Without a doubt in my mind, I knew the Omega Knights Fraternity house threw some of the best parties on campus, but that's if you're into all that Sorority, Fraternity bullshit.

I didn't realise he was still speaking to me until he pulled us both to a stop, "I'm sorry, what?" I asked with a slight shake of my head as I looked up at him, his eyes glaring back at mine with disbelief that I had tuned him out.

"I asked if you'd be there." Repeating himself for my benefit when we went back to walking, the summer heat shining down on us when my skin started to feel a little uncomfortably too hot in the midday sun.

"I can't," not wanting to spend a week after finals and lectures on the beach getting drunk. I would much rather catch up on lost sleep due to cramming in every bit of information I could.

"What do you mean you can't?" he pressed for an adequate answer, already feeling his judgement radiating from him before I even replied.

"I still have some things to pack into boxes before the end of the week." My very valid reason caused him to let out an incredulous laugh until he realised I was being serious, at which he cleared his throat and said a quick sorry.

"Taylor, you have nothing left to pack. Most of your shit is back at your parents' house. You're coming. I will even drag you there by your pretty blonde hair if I have to." He smiled as he kissed the side of my head and went off his separate way, leaving me to keep walking by myself.

I didn't understand why people acted like they were giving me an option when it was never there to grasp onto, just hanging falsely to tease the idea that I had a choice in the matter at hand.