Chapter 15 - Recommendations

It wasn't all that hard to get Tensei to remember. Tenya knew him better than anyone, so he was able to pinpoint his core memory without Izuku's help. It also wasn't hard to get an appointment at UA under the guise of his brother recommending Tenya to the hero course. Old alumni often recommended family members to the school, it wasn't that unusual. It's how Shoto got in, after all. That and a quick quirk test, but that was more of a formality.

"Alright Tenya, remember the plan," Tensei told him as they stepped out of the car. "Allow me to talk with the faculty. You focus your efforts on Yaoyorozu."

"I understand," Tenya nodded, walking beside his older brother as they entered the building. They came up with this plan together with some of the other alliance members. Both Tenya and Shoto would be here to encourage Momo to find her confidence, to remind her of the person she had become- or will be. While Tensei would chat with the teachers, prodding and poking based on detailed reports from Izuku in order to get their memories back. "Good luck, brother."

"You too, Tenya," Tensei smiled, ruffling Tenya's hair before they parted ways. Tensei loudly greeted Snipe while Tenya went to sit down next to Shoto in the hallway. There were several chairs aligned alongside the wall, serving as a waiting area. They'd each have a sort of interview with one of the teachers in order to judge their personalities, but Tenya knew it was more of a formality. Having a trash personality wouldn't be as much of a deal breaker as it should be.

"Momo isn't here yet," Shoto told him. Tenya nodded in response, but didn't react otherwise.

"How are you holding up?" he asked instead, making Shoto groan.

"I hate my father a little more every day," he huffed.

"And yet you love him."

"And yet I love him," Shoto sighed. "Family is a strange thing, isn't it? I guess it's a little easier to accept when you know what drove him to this, but still... How are you handling the situation with your brother?"

Changing the subject, alright then. Tenya knew Shoto had it rough right now, so he wouldn't push if his friend was uncomfortable with sharing.

"We're going to try to avoid what happened in Hosu City," Tenya said. "That way he doesn't have to retire and none of us have to risk getting hurt."

"Does Izuku know about that plan?" Shoto asked, a little surprised.

"There's no reason to needlessly worry him," Tenya said. "You know how he can get... Besides, there is still time."

Yes, they both knew how he could get. How obsessive his behavior was when it came down to maintaining the timeline, a compulsion that was only reinforced by the awful consequences of different decisions he made. Every time Izuku tried to change things for the better, it ended up worse than before. Was their original timeline really the best outcome? Had they hit the jackpot without knowing it? Or was it a side effect Jikan didn't account for? A constant, as if their new reality wanted to return back to its previous state.

Still, the temptation to try and change things was hard to resist, and Tenya couldn't deny his brother his independence. To be able to live without compromise, without having to give up his career, without losing any and all feeling in his legs- Tenya didn't want to see his brother end up in a wheelchair ever again, not if there were things they could do to prevent it. He knew how Izuku would react, knew it was a selfish desire, all things considered, but he just had to try.

"...Izuku won't be happy about this," Shoto hummed. "It's better if you tell him ahead of time, though. If he finds out you changed things afterwards-"

"I know," Tenya said. Their friendship was on the line here. If he went through with this without informing Izuku... Well, he wouldn't be able to call himself a member of the 1-A alliance anymore, and Izuku surely wouldn't call him his friend anymore, either. He'd have betrayed his trust and Tenya would accept any and all consequences if that were to happen. It won't, though. He'll tell him, he just had to find the right moment.