Chapter 48 - Faking Death

"We have to make it seem like you were kidnapped or taken and killed elsewhere."

That was the first thing Aizawa said when he arrived through the window. Izuku didn't know how he got to that window, but he didn't question Aizawa's capabilities. Kacchan had debriefed him while he ran over here, so he knew the gist of what was happening and what kind of mess they were dealing with. The second thing he did when he arrived was sending Katsuki home. They had to make it seem like everything was still okay, like this happened after Katsuki left.

"We'll make sure to place your mask in sight, linking you to your vigilante persona," Aizawa continued as he pulled out an empty duffel bag. "Does your hoodie still have bloodstains?"

"I- Yeah, I think so," Izuku said, still facing Nana, who was desperately trying to hold his attention. Aizawa couldn't see her, but he was sure Kacchan had told him about it before he even got here. His hoodie was barely washed, and even when he managed to do so without his mom knowing, he was sure some traces of blood remained. Izuku didn't have the right chemicals to make them disappear completely.

"We'll rip it, throw some furniture around. Make it look like a struggle. Make them think a fight broke out," he said, putting the bag down in front of Izuku, distorting the misty image of his female predecessor. Them. The police. The people that would eventually find this scene- this tragedy. People that were supposed to be on their side. "Pack only essentials. Things that could point to the future like your notebooks, not too many clothes- Remember, it needs to look like you were taken. Too little clothes would make it look like you ran away."

"I am running away," Izuku choked out, staring at the bag in front of him. Running from the consequences of his own actions.

"You're entering witness protection," Aizawa corrected him. "Unofficial witness protection, but still... I'll have to ask for a favor from one of my contacts to change Eri's appearance anyway, so I'll have them work on you, too. The Yakuza won't be able to track you, definitely not when we give you a new name."

Izuku took a shaky breath as he grabbed the bag. His legs still felt unsteady, he didn't trust himself not to fall if he stood up right now. Not to mention he'd have to walk past...her if he wanted to go to his room.

"Izuku, hey, look at me," Yoichi said, calling for his attention. "Can you focus on me? Focus on my form, my voice? Try to make me visible to him."

Was that even possible? To have others see the vestiges? Well, Kacchan was an exception, he was a previous holder. But something like that had been impossible, too. Something that shouldn't happen- couldn't happen. So maybe... It was worth a shot, at the very least. Izuku took a deep breath, closing his eyes for a moment, focusing solely on Yoichi's presence within him. He expanded that presence outwards, to the shell of the first holder, a ghost of the past. Feeling the energy pulse through him, trying to form it, to give him shape. He could hear Aizawa stopping what he was doing as he opened his eyes again, seeing Yoichi looked more alive than he'd ever seen him.

"Thank you, Izuku," he smiled, turning to face Aizawa, who was standing behind them. "I'll come with you to Izuku's room to pack his things. I doubt that I can interact much with the world, even in this form, so please be my hands for a little while."

"...Right," Aizawa said, glancing at Izuku before looking back at Yoichi. "How long will you be able to keep this up?"

"Don't know," Izuku mumbled as En placed a hand over his, sending a chill down his spine. Interacting with the other vestiges felt strange now that he was focusing his every on Yoichi. Distracting, in a way. Maybe even a little disturbing, now that he dwindled on it.