You're the only one i see

Tam ran into Biana in the garden.

Because that was the most poetic place anything could ever happen. In a garden, surrounded by flowers. Why wouldn't things happen there?

He came across her, at a distance, underneath a flowering tree, and she stared up into it, like there was something important up there.

She glanced at him, apparently hearing him approach. Her lips tilted up. "How are you today, Tam?"

He shrugged. "There's nothing much to do, so a little bored."

"Bored is the worst word in the English language."

He raised his eyebrows, and settled on the grass next to her. "Is that right?"

She nodded. "It implies a lack of imagination on your part, and a willingness to set yourself up for failure. Doing nothing does not necessarily mean you have to be bored."

Tam snorted. "Yeah, right."

"There's a reason your mom always tells you to go do chores if you ever say you're bored in front of her," Biana said.

Tam squinted. "My mom never said that."

"Really?"

He nodded. "She wasn't around very much during the day. Had her own things to do."

Biana made a noise in her throat. But then she sighed, tilting her head up towards the sky through the tree branches. "This is my favorite place in the gardens."

He smiled at her, her beauty washing over him in a way that made him never want to blink again. "It's almost as pretty as you are," he said.

She turned and looked at him, a small smile playing around her lips. "Yeah?"

He nodded. "Nothing's quite as beautiful as you are, of course, but this place is fairly close."

She bit her lips, trying to keep her smile from being too wide.

His focus snapped to her mouth and he internally swore up a storm.

He tilted his head back against the tree. She followed him. The bark scratched into his scalp.

Then, she asked, "Do you think you'll like your soulmate?"

He gazed out over the flowering bushes. The green branches of the tree above them breathed with rustling in the soft movement of the wind. "I'm not sure," he said, "I hope I will."

Biana nodded. "Me too," she said. "I really hope my soulmate likes me."

Their conversation shifted about, brushing back and forth from topic to topic. They laughed under the tree, and Tam's eyes wouldn't leave her alone, trying to absorb as much of her glory as he could.

And she threw her head back, laughing at some tactfully sarcastic comment he'd managed to make, her dark brown waves falling over her shoulders, and his entire body lit on fire. He was so glad the heat in his cheeks couldn't turn into real flames, otherwise his entire body would have been combusting.

"Why do you keep looking at me like that," she giggled.

"Like what?" he asked, his eyes still on her.

"Like I'm something special you want to never let go of?"

"Maybe you are," he said, but then stood up.

Her cheeks were bright red, and he smiled at her, holding out his hand. "Will you dance with me?"

Her eyes widened, and she took his hand, standing up. "But there's no music?"