Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

Chapter 8: Moral Reckoning

Despite the dazzling allure of the ornate treasure chest that stood between Sonya and Tobias, neither sibling dared to take a step forward. The forest's eerie silence surrounded them, broken only by the faint rustle of leaves.

Tobias, his wavy hair a stark contrast to the dirt and grime of their surroundings, possessed a chiseled face framed by jet-black locks. He shared his sister's dark mane but stood towering above her, his masculine stature exuding strength, a physical presence unmatched by anyone in the vicinity.

A piercing spotlight shattered the darkness, casting a brilliant yellow glow that revealed the encircling thicket of gnarled trees and underbrush.

In that stark illumination, the crimson apple orbs suspended from tree branches and stood out like ominous beacons. Each one a harbinger of the secrets hidden within the dystopian wilderness.

"We're ready for anything." Sonya's voice pierced the tense air, her words instilled with a steely determination that radiated confidence and an unyielding resolve in the face of the grim challenge.

Despite his apparent older age and physical capability, her brother hesitated, his reluctance clear as he refrained from nodding and giving his consent.

Millie's lips curled into a scornful smirk, poised to unleash her words like venom. However, before she could utter a single syllable, the unmistakable voice of the host resonated through the speakers, cutting through the tension in the air.

"Ladies and ... gentleman, welcome to the second part of the most challenging and morally perplexing game in the Grimm Games: Moral Reckoning. Here, your choices will determine not only your fate but the fate of your fellow contestants."

"You see," the host continued, "in this twisted world, trust is a precious commodity. Each couple will have only the remaining four minutes and thirty-five seconds of your initial fifteen to communicate with one another. You'll face a choice: cooperate or betray. The rules are simple, yet the consequences are anything but."

Just as I glimpsed our opponent's legs, I realized they were firmly ensnared by thick tree roots, which appeared to extend deep into the earth, coiling tightly around their calves. In the blink of an eye, as I attempted to move forward, the very ground beneath us seemed to rebel. Roots surged from the soil, sending showers of dirt flying as they seized our legs, rendering Millie and I immobile.

"Whoa," Millie called out, somehow maintaining her balance despite the roots anchoring her in position.

The host continued after a dramatic pause, "Each set of siblings' vote counts as one, so you must reach an agreement with your sibling before your decision becomes valid. Failure to decide is akin to betrayal. Once you've locked in your final choice before the end of your allocated time, if both of you opt to cooperate, you'll receive a modest reward. It's a glimpse of victory, so to speak. But beware, for the temptation to betray your fellow contestant is strong."

The host's voice dropped to a sinister tone. "If you both choose to betray, or you don't agree with your sibling, you'll both suffer a grave penalty, one that will test your resolve and determination to survive. Now, here's where it gets truly intriguing. If one set of siblings chooses to betray and the other to cooperate, the betrayer will receive a substantial reward, while the cooperator will face a harsh penalty."

Sonya and her brother's expressions revealed their readiness for the game, which had taken me aback.

"A substantial reward like no other, one that may even allow you to skip one entire game at any time. So, contestants, as you contemplate your choices, keep in mind that in the Grimm Games, trust is a commodity easily spent, and betrayal is always lurking in the shadows. Choose wisely, for your fate depends on it."