Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 13: A Holle New Level

The tree, this grotesque, twisted entity, was begging for release from its torment. My heart nearly stopped as the implications sank in. The notion horrified me beyond comprehension. How could something like this exist? What twisted reality was I now trapped in?

The tree's branch tightened its grip on my cuffed arm while its roots constricted my ankle. During the entire struggle, the tree's horrifying moans of agony filled the air.

"Kill... me," it rasped again. The words dripped with the sticky sound of sap and suffering.

Terror and empathy warred within me.

I had to escape this living nightmare, but the sight of the tormented entity was etched onto my mind and heart, preventing me from acting. The weight of the blade in my free hand felt heavier than before. Again, I faced a choice burdened with moral consequences.

Summoning my courage, I yelled, "I can't help you!" Tears welled in my eyes as I lifted the blade and hacked at the taut branch and root. The tree's tortured wails amplified with each strike. A symphony of agony no one should ever hear.

Finally, the branch and root gave way, releasing me from its grip. I stumbled backward, panting, and shaken. The tree convulsed violently, its cries growing louder, more anguished.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, tears threatening to spill over. I was at a loss on how to end its suffering, even if I wanted to. The weight of the blade in my hand was a somber reminder of the choices I had to make in this hellish game.

Somewhere nearby, the Witch's high-pitched cackle rang out, a piercing alarm that sent shivers down my spine. It was as if the howling of the trees had acted as a malevolent beacon, guiding her straight to my location.

Fear surged through me like wildfire. The sense of being hunted, of being the prey in this sick game, intensified with every echo of her chilling laughter.

I turned and fled, leaving the tortured tree behind. Its cries haunted me as I plunged deeper into the heart of the twisted forest.

Adrenaline surged, and my instincts screamed at me to move, to find the shelter of a safe zone, to escape the clutches of the terrifying forest. The woods seemed to awaken with an eerie energy, conspiring against me. Every rustle and crackle sounded like a cruel insult.

My feet carried me swiftly through the haunting wilderness, desperately seeking any refuge from this nightmare.

The Witch's laughter grew louder, drawing closer.

Then, a glimpse of hope—a weathered shack that looked like the previous safe zone that housed the tainted apples. The glow of the yellow light within seeped through the outline of the door highlighting it in the dark.

I hurriedly opened the door, careful to survey the small space before stepping inside. Once within, I swiftly secured the wooden lever on the door that acted as a lock.

The walls inside were adorned with wooden panels weathered by time. In one corner, a modest stack of individually wrapped protein bars were neatly arranged, offering sustenance in a confined space.

A flat-screen TV was securely anchored against the opposite wall, an odd blend to the simple and worn surroundings. The flickering screen held the promise of a distraction with a glimpse of the outside world in this cramped space.

In the far corner sat a basic toilet. Beside it, a small stack of folded paper towels provided a means for hygiene.

I tried to settle inside the shack, but the flickering light bulb suspended from the ceiling cast an eerie dance of shadows on the worn wooden walls. Upon examining the individually wrapped protein bars more closely, I hesitated, contemplating whether to even consider inspecting them.