September 2023 | »Vespian Emeralds - Chasing Secrets« by @Flame_of_Frost

It is very exciting to have Flame_of_Frost with us to feature their book »Vespian Emeralds - Chasing Secrets« as our next book of the month! Underneath you can find the first interview where we talked about the author and their story!

AUTHOR BIO

❝ As a writer and reader of all things literary, I'm just another aspiring author who hopes to change the world one day through her writing. The key to writing is a primary foundation in reading, which is why my desk has more paperback crime novels and thriller books than it can handle. Coffee, an empty notebook, and a good fountain pen constitute my literary lifeline, which is occasionally disrupted by distractions in the form of cats around the house or the latest Marvel movie. ❞

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

PREMISE

❝ "In a world where supervillains blend in with mortals, young agents Veronica Jackson and Rene Carlson, trained in the art of deception and disguise, join the Vespian Emeralds, a new super villain organisation led by the Chase sisters. As they embark on their first mission assigned by the League Of Super Villain Organisations (LOSVO), they navigate a web of conspiracies, murder attempts, and impersonations. Their skills and their commitment to the villainous cause are put to test as they compete with rivals to retrieve a coveted item that has fallen into the wrong hands." 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

TEASER SCENE

(From chapter 9, "A Case on the Case") 

 "We can only assume that the package was taken sometime between 11:05 and 12:30 pm. 

"This case, agents, is of extreme importance to our government, and that package can prove disastrous if it falls in the wrong hands. Fortunately, the case requires a special key that cannot be forged or recreated by anyone other than the government itself. There are only three copies of that key - one with the Head of Security, one with the Lab director, and the third with me. So, there exists a 90% chance that the person with the case will not be able to open it, which buys you some time," the Secretary continued. 

"The Council has pushed for the recruitment of some of LOSVO's top agents. Which is why the mission to retrieve that case... now rests with the Vespian Emeralds." 

Jacqueline uncrossed her legs and leaned forward after a moment of silent deliberation. 

 "Sir, what was in that case?" She enquired. There was a spell of silence, and the discomfort was clearly in the air as the agents shot each other glances. Agent Ranks looked at the Secretary with raised eyebrows, apparently unaware of the answer himself. The Secretary was silent as he settled uneasily in his chair. Jacqueline tilted her head and fixed him with a pointed gaze. 

 "What... was in the case, Sir?" she repeated slowly. The question was bound to come up sooner or later, but how the secretary wished he had turned to some less inquisitive agents. 

 He inhaled sharply as he straightened his tie and looked up to meet the gaze of five pairs of eyes. 

"We don't know." 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

INTERVIEW

1. How did you start writing on Wattpad? 

Writing has always been more than just a passion to me, and soon after I began my writing journey, I realised that my work had never been exposed to reader feedback, and as a result, could not be improved upon. Wattpad was my primary gateway to the world of peer reviewing from fellow writers on a global platform. Through this forum, my work was able to receive the crucial feedback that is integral to every author's literary career. Wattpad thus continues to be my means of connecting with readers I have grown to love and mentors I have come to deeply respect. 

2. What was the inspiration for your book »Vespian Emeralds - Chasing Secrets«? If you could describe your story in only three words, what would they be? 

❝ The primary inspiration for my book "Vespian Emeralds – Chasing Secrets" would be all those action movies and novels that bestowed upon me an adrenaline rush and a deep love for all things fast-paced, suspenseful, and just a tad sinister. I wanted to depict the constantly antagonised villains more as anti-heroes who have a story to tell just as the protagonists do. Here, getting into the psyche of those 'villains' to justify their 'evil' deeds was certainly my biggest inspiration to begin writing an action/crime novel.In three separate words, I would perhaps describe my story as modern, sympathetic (to the antihero), and brisk. 

3. Which details or scenes in »Vespian Emeralds - Chasing Secrets« are most unique and interesting to you? 

❝ As the writer, I believe an interesting fact about the story that a lot of readers may miss is the name of the supervillain organisation (and title of the book) itself – "Vespian Emeralds". The term 'Vespian' originates from 'Vespasian', the name of the Roman emperor famed for initiating the building of the Roman Colosseum. This was meant to signify the ambition and initiative associated with supervillains. Second, the reason for including 'Emeralds' in the name was a nod to the astral properties of calmness and insight associated with the gemstone. This alludes to the insight needed to successfully carry out any antagonistic operation, as described later in the book. 

4. If you were a character in your story, which one would you be and why? 

❝ If I were a character from my story, I'd definitely choose to be Jacqueline Chase, the elder Chase sister, and co-founder of Vespian Emeralds. From the perspective of the author, we tend to have certain main characters that we aspire to be (and even model after ourselves slightly when we sketch them out). With her leadership skills, CEO-level ambition, and slightly tough exterior, Jacqueline Chase would be someone I would model myself after! After all, who wouldn't enjoy negotiating arms deals and supervising top -priority missions? 

5. Do you intend to write another book in the future? What advice would you give to other writers who wish to try writing as well?

❝ I do intend to write another book in the future, and have already begun writing a mystery/thriller novel titled "Death, Crime, and a Zodiac Sign" on Wattpad! 

In terms of advice to my fellow writers out there, I would simply urge you to write for yourself. It could be a short essay, a footnote, or even just a tiny poem. Just begin. As the saying goes, start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. 

"What if my readers don't like it?" We have encountered the question numerous times, and will continue to do so in our literary journey, especially if we turn to writing as a career. But at the basis of it all, I would remind you that your biggest critic and most loyal fan is always yourself. If it's something you find yourself thoroughly enjoying, write it, without a doubt, and avoid keeping the reader or vote count in mind. Bon voyage, bibliophiles! 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

And we end our amazing interview with Flame_of_Frost here. Thank you for being with us this September. We all hope you all got to know the author like us and discovered some unique details about the story, »Vespian Emeralds - Chasing Secrets«. We will see you next month with another amazing story.