February 2024 | »Camp Antler Point« by @sandydragon1

It is very exciting to have sandydragon1 with us to feature their book »Camp Antler Point« as our next book of the month! Underneath you can find the next interview where we talked about the author and their story!

AUTHOR BIO

❝ I'm an asexual Wattpad Creator who has cerebral palsy. I'm extremely lucky to work as a technical editor, which has helped me hone my writing skills even when I'm not actively working on my stories. You can often find me chatting with the wonderful people in the Rainbow Bookclub or binge reading stories in Dreamland Hunt and Guilds. 

I also run the TripleACommunity profile on Wattpad, with the goal of spotlighting stories featuring characters across the aromantic and asexual spectrums. We have several reading lists full of amazing stories, so make sure you check those out! 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

PREMISE

❝ Eighteen-year-old Amy Sterling expected her overprotective dad to be the worst thing about working at Camp Antler Point over the summer, but when one of her would-be coworkers goes missing right before the start of camp, its up to her to save the kids from rampaging wildlife. 

When rebellious bad boy Lucas invites her to sneak off for some fun by the lake, Amy jumps at the chance to finally be around someone who doesn't treat her like she's made of glass just because she has cerebral palsy. Helicopter parenting quickly becomes the least of her problems when what she thought was just a campfire story turns out to be horrifyingly real as a disease ravages the local moose population, turning the once gentle giants into murderous monsters. 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

TEASER SCENE

❝ A moose stomped at the base of a tree. The calf no longer cried with fear like it had when they'd last seen it by the lake. No, these were not the plaintive wails of a helpless animal searching for its mother. 

These were the guttural, rage-filled bellows of a killer. 

Its antlers were unlike anything Amy had ever seen. Protruding from the calf's head in clusters of velvety bumps, they resembled clumps of coral covered in a fine, milky white fungus. The twisted lumps of bone rammed against the tree, sending splintery shrapnel flying. 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

INTERVIEW

1. How did you start writing on Wattpad?

 Back when I wrote fanfiction, a friend of mine recommended Wattpad to me because I was aiming to transition to writing original stories. 

2. What was the inspiration for your book »Camp Antler Point«? If you could describe your story in only three words, what would they be?

❝ Camp Antler Point is essentially a cross between the episode "Plague of Madness" from Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal and Meaghan McIsaac's Zombie Shark Highway series. 

If I had to describe the story in three words, they would be: murderous moose rampage. 

3. Which details or scenes in »Camp Antler Point« are most unique and interesting to you?

I can't get into it too much because of spoilers, but there's a particular scene that has a tendency to catch people off guard and really sucker punch them. I don't pull any punches when it comes to just how much one particular event hurts for the characters, so make sure you have tissues on hand! 

4. If you were a character in your story, which one would you be and why?

❝ Amy. She and I are both ace, have cerebral palsy, and have a huge soft spot for children. 

5. Do you intend to write another book in the future? What advice would you give to other writers who wish to try writing as well?

❝ Of course! I'm currently working on a fated mates paranormal romance story between a selkie and an Alpha werewolf. If all goes well, it'll be ready to start posting in May. 

My advice to other writers is to embrace their weird, crazy ideas! Those are often the most fun to work with, and if you enjoy tackling them, your readers will be able to tell. 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

And we end our amazing interview with sandydragon1 here. Thank you for being with us this February. We all hope you all got to know the author like us and discovered some unique details about the story, »Camp Antler Point«. We will see you next month with another amazing story.