33.

"Taira..."

Beautiful blue-grey eyes bored into mine, raven strands framing sharply-cut features, marred only by a tiny scar above his right eyebrow.

I was trapped somewhere between wakefulness and sleep, exhausted to the point of death, but unable to cross that line and fall into the merciful arms of oblivion. Instead, images and memories kept flashing through my mind.

Shira sitting handcuffed on the floor of a dark cell.

Shira's steely gaze meant for his enemies and his beautiful smile meant only for me.

Shira's hands, calloused from sword fighting, lightly touching my face.

Shira's deep voice saying my name for the first time, the same name that would come out of his mouth so many times after that, with fear, with love, with passion, sometimes with anger... and I would have been so happy to hear him say it just one more time.

Tears came to my eyes again and I searched my mind for other memories. But they all made me nostalgic and sad. How much more bearable my life would be now if I had never entered that cell.

After a while I managed to pull myself together and stared blankly into the darkness.

My eyes were sore, my throat parched, my limbs stiff. I could feel my stomach growling. Captain Marat didn't even give me water or dry bread. But that was to be expected. Nothing will deter your captor from giving you food more than a fist in the face.

So I was left starving, and as the room was completely bare, I was expected to sleep on the dusty concrete floor. Not that I could sleep.

Suddenly I heard the rattling of keys in the lock and the light bulb on the ceiling suddenly lit up, blinding me for a moment.

Two Resistance soldiers entered.

I was even more surprised to see that one was carrying a tray of food and water and the other a blanket.

However, the food they had brought me was not prison rations, not even the usual food given to soldiers. At the sight of the huge piece of grilled meat with fried potatoes, my mouth began to water and I realised how long it had been since I had eaten.

"So they are really going to execute me in the morning?" I said ironically, looking at the meal that resembled a convict's last supper.

Both men laughed.

"We hope not, Commander," said the one carrying the food, placing the plate in front of me.

"Just a little thank you," the other said with a grin, handing me a blanket.

I didn't ask what for. I understood and just nodded. I'd begun to suspect as soon as I'd punched the blond in the face, and his men hadn't exactly rushed to get me away from him.

Captain Marat wasn't very popular with the soldiers here.

"Most of the crew are on standby," one of the men informed me. He wasn't much younger than me, with very short fair hair and grey eyes that stared at me with something that almost resembled admiration. "The attack will start soon."

It couldn't have been more than a few hours, and I had to admit to the Headquarters that they had acted quickly.

With newfound determination, I said: "I want to join the attack. Tell Marat."

"He won't allow it, sir," the other, shorter and sturdier man said, shaking his head.

"Let Dr Saar speak to him."

"She's not here. She's gone to testify before the Council."

I vaguely remembered Maya saying something similar, but I was unable to process her words at the time.