Chapter 12

Charlie

"So," Matthew said, "pretty good music, right?"

Charlie didn't reply. They were dancing, or what passed for it - it involved a lot of swaying back and forth in a dark room in the middle of a large group of people with red solo cups and a couple making out passionately in the corner while a pale boy with a lip piercing and a fanny pack was filling everyone's cups with an unknown substance and giving away pills. Charlie wasn't paying much attention to her surroundings however, her eyes were focused on the blonde fixing a fourth round of drinks for everyone in the kitchen, there was something about the way she danced to the music while making the drinks, it was most likely the same thing that made everyone want to say hello to her, that made it impossible for Charlie to tear her eyes away from her.

"I," Matthew went on, "am enjoying myself."

That however seemed unlikely. Matthew stood out at the house party like a sore thumb, in jeans and an old Hard Rock Café T-shirt. Emma was not as awkward, but stuck to hanging out with her friends. Somehow they got dragged to a truth or dare game, as if they weren't in college anymore and were high school students looking for an excuse to hook up. Olivia pretty much had to drag Alison to play as well, she looked from Charlie to Emma to Matthew - Matthew closed his mouth, which had been wide open, with a snap - and back at Charlie again.

"Okay," said Olivia, as she joined them in the living room. "I'll go first. Truth."

"Have you hooked up with a girl?" A girl asked.

Olivia looked down and started fidgeting with her hands. "Uh... Yeah, I'm pretty sure me and Ali made out once."

Alison nodded. "She wanted to take my clothes off."

"I did not!" Olivia slapped her and Alison laughed.

"Ali," Olivia suggested, "you go next."

"Dare, I guess."

Olivia nodded. "Emma, why don't you give Ali a dare?"

Emma took this opportunity to mess with the girl, it was time for her to pay back for all the times she had been rude to Charlie. She wanted to pick an embarrassing dare, something awkward. "Ok, give someone a lap dance, but you have to do it for a whole song."

Alison narrowed her eyes. Bitch. She shrugged, a delicate twitch of her shoulders, then she spoke out loud. "Ok. I'll pick Charlie." Two can play this game.

"I didn't say you could pick."

"I wasn't asking."

"Alison," Olivia warned her, but there was no point, Alison stood up and walked towards Charlie.

When Alison stole a glance at Charlie, she couldn't tell what she was thinking. "Can you pick someone else?"

"You'll be fine." She replied. "Put on Her by Her."

Whoever was in charge of the music stopped what was playing and put the song Alison had picked. The entire party came to a halt and every remaining person crammed around them. Alison Hayes giving another girl a lap dance? That was something you couldn't miss and she was definitely gonna give them something to remember, especially with Emma throwing daggers at her.

The song began, no beat, just a simple four chord progression. Alison was wearing a satin white blouse and black leather pants, 3 golden necklaces hung at different heights from her neck, one passing through a birthmark she had in the place where her shoulder met her neck, Charlie noticed. The ring she wore on her index finger felt cold in Charlie's neck. Before the lyrics started Alison had climbed on top of her and started swaying her hips to the tempo of the song. Slowly, no rush in the motion. She leaned closer to Charlie's ear and whispered so softly, she herself wasn't entirely sure she heard it. "Relax."

Charlie drew herself closer, and spoke, not moving her lips too much. "Fuck you for doing this."

Alison laughed, the sound coming from the depths of her chest, and drew her head back. Then she put all her hair to one side and started moving in a wider range of motion in Charlie's lap. She grabbed Charlie's hands from either side and placed them on her hips, looking at Emma as she did so. "It's your friend's dare." She whispered.

"You could have said no."

Alison arched her back. "And miss all the fun? Emma is fuming."

They were speaking too quietly for anyone to understand, besides, everyone was focused on the strip of skin showing in Alison's small back. "Why do you keep saying things like that about Emma?"

"Because she clearly likes you."

Charlie was going to muster up a reply, denying what the blonde said, but Alison put her leg between Charlie's, straddling her. Swiveling her hips, she danced in time to the beat of the music in a way that made Charlie forget her own senses. She was no longer at a party, she was no longer sitting in front of dozens of college kids, she was trapped in her own head, trying to make sense of why her insides turned to mush the second Alison did that and was embarrassed to admit to herself how much her body was responding to it.

"She doesn't." She half moaned, half whispered. I hope Alison didn't notice that, she thought.

The song ended to everyone's dismay, but before Alison climbed off of Charlie she said one last sentence. "I'll prove it to you."

"Okay," Olivia dragged out. "That was something."

Alison nodded, unfazed. "You're welcome." Emma wanted to kill her right then and there, but Alison had different plans. "I think it's Emma's turn."

Emma's jaw clenched. "Ok. Dare."

"Kiss Charlie."