Chapter 18

"You're late." Charlie sipped her coffee. No doubt it was an extra one that someone gave back and she didn't want to throw it away.

Alison placed a light pink box on the counter and opened it. Charlie's eyes zeroed in on the cupcake sitting smack dab in the middle. Salted caramel. Her favorite. Her stomach emitted a low rumble of approval. She'd been so caught up at the register she hadn't eaten since she got there.

"Consider it my olive branch for being late." She pushed the box toward Charlie.

"That's the closest thing to an apology you're ever gonna get." Olivia said as she took a seat at the counter.

Instead of arguing with her, she poked at the cupcake with suspicion. "Did you poison it?"

"Nah, I was in a rush. Maybe next time."

"Hilarious. Netflix should give you a standup special." She plucked the cupcake from the box and examined it more closely for signs of tampering.

"I know." Alison oozed cockiness. "It's one of my many wonderful attributes."

Olivia fought an eye roll.

Charlie laughed. "You know? I think Satan must've been distracted the day he created you and poured a little too much obnoxiousness into you."

"I'm Satan's hellspawn now?"

Charlie nodded and tasted the frosting.

"I thought I was a succubus."

Olivia cut in. "Where were you? I called you all morning."

"I uh..." Alison quickly glanced at Charlie, then back at Olivia. "I slept in."

Charlie remained quiet. Not wanting to know the truth.

"How did you know salted caramel is my favorite?" She squinted at a tiny black mark on the cupcake wrapper. A mere scratch from an errant marker, or proof of poison? Hmmm...

"It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Everytime you're not drinking that almond milk crap, you're inhaling a caramel mocha the size of your head."

Okay, fair point. Her love for all things caramel-almond-flavored wasn't exactly a secret.

"Keep it up and you'll get diabetes," she added. "All that sugar can't be good for you."

"So you're feeding me more sugar in the hopes I'll become diabetic." She put the cupcake back in the box and placed both her hands on the counter. "I knew you had nefarious intentions."

Alison sighed and pinched her brow. "Charlie, eat the damn cupcake."

"I still don't understand the succubus joke." Olivia said.

Charlie stifled a grin. She peeled back the wrapper and took a small bite. Warm, delicious sweetness burst onto her tongue and she couldn't hold back a soft moan of appreciation. Alison watched while she ate, her expression giving way to something Charlie couldn't identify.

Self-consciousness pricked at her skin. "What?"

"Nothing," the blonde smiled. Olivia chuckled beside her.

Charlie looked between them both. "It is poisoned, isn't it?"

"Charlie, you have frosting all over your face." Diego cut in and handed her a napkin.

The two girls finally gave in and laughed.

"Ha ha, funny." Said Charlie.

She took some of the frosting in one finger and smeared it over Olivia and Alison before they could get out of the way. And suddenly the counter became a battlefield of cupcake and frosting. Before they destroyed the entire counter, Diego cut in and took the cupcake from Charlie.