There Is Hope

If it weren't for the moments of warmth, if it weren't for the smile Hia Yi saved for him and no one else, Diao thinks he wouldn't be so hung up like this.

So hung up on Hia Yi, who barely spares Diao an extra glance after making sure that the younger is still alive and breathing.

Diao thinks Hia Yi doesn't see this. He can't possibly know.

If he knew that even his smallest actions caused the biggest earthquakes in Diao's heart, he wouldn't be so kind. He would close himself off, not even allowing the luxury of normal moments with Diao.

Normal. What's normal to Hia Yi is being protective over Diao, going along with whatever he wants, and caring for him from the sidelines. Anything more than that, Hia Yi declines without even a second thought.

It's so little, and yet it makes Diao feel like the most important person in the world. Like his life isn't all that lonely after all, if he had Yi looking out for him.

Kon Diao doesn't mean for it to happen. It's just that he's weak against warm people. Whenever someone is extra nice to Diao or pays special attention to his needs, Diao's heart shakes. He just wants badly to be loved and treasured by someone.

So when Hia Yi asks if he has eaten, asks if he's okay, asks if he misses his family, each answer brings Diao deeper into the pits of falling in love with Hia Yi.

Yet Diao has to pretend like it doesn't affect him. Like the concern he gets isn't defrosting his entire heart. Like the smile Hia Yi sends his way isn't making his brain short circuit.

Because if Hia Yi found out. He'd stop all of it. He would want Diao to give up on his feelings for Yi, because he doesn't feel worthy of Diao's pure love. Not as someone who had once hurt him.

That's not what Kon Diao thinks, though. Somewhere along the lines, Diao started to think that it's because Hia Yi doesn't love him like that. So, he thinks Diao's feelings are a burden. Which should be kept buried and locked up, so they don't mess up their current relationship.

And when his thoughts reach there, Diao wishes that Hia Yi was just a bit more cruel to him. Not so gentle and warm. Not so perfect for Diao that there was no way to resist his growing feelings anymore.

Ding!

Kon Diao's  phone vibrates, signalling a message from Hia Yi.

"Do you need me to bring food back?"

And there it was. Kon Diao's heart lights up with hope again, like his phone screen that was just illuminated by the notification of Hia Yi's text.

He can't forget it, and he can't let go.