Excuses (Diao is Sick)

Diao being sick is always Yi's excuse to openly care for him. Without any fear nor guilt, because he knows that Diao needs him during this time.

"Yeah. I won't be coming in today. Diao's having a high fever."

Yi hangs up the call, feeling his heart beat waves faster. It feels like Diao is his family, and he's taking time off to look after him when he's weak. It's such a natural thing to do for your loved ones, but for Hia Yi, it was a luxury he only allowed himself once in a while.

Still standing outside Diao's room door, Yi recalls how he was at this exact spot several hours ago.

He was walking past Diao's room to reach his own when he'd heard some noises coming from inside. Initially, his mind went places, and his face was flushed red, but when he realised that the sounds seemed to be from pain, he quickly pushed open the door to get inside.

There, Diao was clinging onto his pillow and plushie, sweating and clearly in a lot of discomfort. Hia Yi reaches out to him, his eyes widening at the burning heat from Diao's small forehead.

"Diao, why didn't you say anything to Hia? Why didn't I notice?" Hia Yi softly scolds himself for not noticing early.

He quickly pulls the blanket up to Diao's chin and heads off to get the supplies needed.

He hated seeing Diao sick or in pain. If there is any pain in the world, he should be the one experiencing it, not Diao. Never Diao.

So why is he completely fine while Nong Diao was feverish in bed, finding it difficult to even catch his breath?

Quietly wiping Diao's body with a wet cloth, Hia Yi notices again how Diao's small frame seemed so fragile.

It seems like the years apart only made Diao grow more gentle, more innocent instead of the other way around. The movement causes Diao to stir awake just slightly.

"Mmm…Hia Yi?" Diao mumbles with his eyes barely open. He hasn't seen the person in front of him, but Diao knows no one else treats him with this perciously with such gentle hands.

"Shhh.. sleep if you're unwell." Hia Yi was not glad to hear Diao's voice almost lost.

"Mnnnn…" Diao makes a small sound of discomfort but closes his eyes peacefully again. It's always easy for him to follow along with what Yi says.

Satisfied, Yi stands up to return the wet towel to the bathroom. Diao, hearing the rustling, instinctively grabs onto him, his hands searching for hold on the older's body.

"Hm? What's wrong?"

"Mn." Diao feels like he can't think clearly, but he just doesn't want to be left alone.

"Are you in a lot of pain? Should I get the doctor?" Worry is overflowing in Hia Yi's usually silky voice.

"Diao doesn't want that." After a pause, he continues. "Stay with me."

And Yi feels Diao's words physically stab and wring his heart, begging, begging him to follow.

"Okay. I'm not going anywhere, Diao. Hia is right beside you. Right here."

Hia Yi shifts Diao's hands from his shirtsleeve onto his own hands, gripping it. Diao's heart skips another beat through his sleepy and weary state.