PART EIGHT; THE DUTY

𝐃𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐍'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 ー muzan kibutsuji

𝐃𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐍'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 ー kokushibo

    "KOKUSHIBO

    "KOKUSHIBO..." (Y/N) murmured softly when seeing the demon standing in her doorway, the bright light of the moon shining down on him and casting shadows along his expression, yet highlighting the blood that had splattered along his clothes and dripped from his sword.

    She wasn't shocked by the sight before her.

    She knew what he was.

    What he did.

    She knew better than to mention it—knew better than to draw attention to it.

    But now she couldn't deny it anymore.

    "How many did you kill?" (Y/N) questioned slowly as she watched him approach where she was kneeling on a zabuton in front of a low sitting table, a cup of warm tea in her hands to soothe her insomnia that night.

    "Fifty-four people," Kokushibo answered lowly, by then standing over her.

    "Was it them?"

    "Yes."

    "Is he... dead?"

    "Yes."

    "How did you do it?"

    "He was the last one," Kokushibo lifted his head, his long hair swaying as he did so and brushing against the sleeves of his black-and-purple hexagonal pattered kimono. "I stabbed him through the heart. He died choking on his own blood."

    "I see," was all (Y/N) answered with.

"You don't seem surprised."

"My family was bound to fall," she exhaled softly as she settled her hands neatly on her lap, her eyes lidding whilst her lips thinned into a small line. "We were corrupt. We overstepped multiple boundaries. We were doomed from the very beginning. I knew all of this as a child, so every time I believed myself worthless because I was born female, I realized that if I had been born male, I would have carried that corruption with me—and I would have drowned."