3. Thalatha

Hamza was the first to see them appear from the stables in his place behind the third tent where he sat every other afternoon to enjoy a hidden puff of his cigarettes. A bright smile illuminated his features when he raised his hand to wave a greeting to Riyad, but the expression stilled curiously when he saw the girl who approached behind him. Though her frame could be concealed perfectly behind his broad build, the top of her covered head still peaked over Riyad's shoulder just enough to be seen and recognized.

Riyad rolled his lips into his mouth and nodded his head once to dismiss the questions he saw in Hamza's lifted eyebrows. He would answer any questions later but now, with the girl silently tailing each step he took toward the main tent, Riyad was called to more important matters.

Farhan was in the second tent, laying down on the cushions and blankets laid out comfortably near the end for everybody's casual rest. Kader and Amer sat across one another on the carpeted floor, their focus caught on the game of chess that sat between them.

When he heard the tent whip open, Kader lifted his head to welcome his closest friend back from his long walk. "He's not dead, after all," his thin lips lifted into a teasing smirk that fell away when he leaned his head back to peak at the second person who joined Riyad. At the sight of the girl, Kader's eyes widened. "Did you get married after you sent us away, my friend?"

At the question, Amer raised his attention from the half-emptied chess board to see the woman who stepped out from behind Riyad, her eyes silently scanning the space of three strange men he'd brought her into.

One of Farhan's eyes peeked open at the commotion that disrupted his peaceful rest. His gaze slipped tiredly from Riyad to the stranger and, once it seemed to process in his mind that he was in unfamiliar company, Farhan's head darted off the cushions. He sat up with both eyes open and stared intently at the girl, questioning her presence. "Why is there a woman in our camp?" He asked while sweeping the matted hair from his forehead.

Riyad stepped forward. "I brought her."

Farhan's gaze shifted back to him for another moment before he shot off the ground. "Join me for a conversation outside, please," he motioned for Riyad to lead him out the door. The girl stepped to the side as Farhan allowed his eyes to quickly sweep over her unclean and malnourished state on his way past her. "Explain your reasoning before I get angry."

"I found her unconscious in the streets near the residential areas we were caught in," Riyad began. "If I had left her, another with worse intentions might have found her. An Occupational Soldier might have found her. She wears the hijab on her head so she's one of ours. As The Resistance, we protect our people. As men, we protect our women."

"So, you brought a strange girl back to our camp. Should I remind you that we're in times of war and if our location is compromised, the entire force will be at risk, Riyad?"

"She is just one girl, what damage could she do?"

Farhan took a large breath through his nostrils and gave himself a moment to consider, his eyes scanning the tents standing around them. "Where will she stay? She is not permissible to any of us. She needs her own space and privacy."

"She won't stay long. We'll find her people and return her to them."

"But she will stay and we have no place for her."

"I'll give her my apartment."

"You cannot," Farhan replied.

"Why not? Kader won't refuse her."

"It compromises all of us. That apartment building is filled with far too many documents that we cannot simply allow a stranger to freely access," he lowered his voice to explain. "If she is to stay, she will have to stay in the tent she stands in now."