8. Thamaniya

TW: Blood, Death

"Four civilians have been killed and confrontations are heavy between the Occupational Forces and our people near the Western Border of town," Kader shouted, his voice blowing against the wind that raged past them as their horses flew forward. Riyad's grips around the reins tightened and he ducked his head forward, lifting himself onto his legs to help Ta'ira pick up speed beneath him. The keffiyeh blew over his shoulders and whipped in the storm of sand they left in theirs trails, Riyad's eyes focused forward to cut through the edges of town and arrive as quickly as they could.

The sounds of gunshots and rocks clanging against metal welcomed them into the furious battle between townsfolk and the numbers of armed forces that had raided their homes with no warning. Ta'ira stood with the other horses who were tucked away in the security of rising apartment buildings facing away from the town and onto the narrow creek surrounding its edge.

He threw his rifle onto his back when he raced forward, tying the white and black scarf over his face to conceal his identity. When he neared, Kader pulled his back. "The signal," he reminded him of the alarm that had not yet been sounded. Though it fought against every essence of his being to stand in the shadows of the narrow alleyways while children, teenage boys, and elders faced the troops, Riyad tightened his grip on the gun against his chest and waited.

"God is Greater!" A teenager screamed while rushing past them, spinning his slingshot in the air before allowing the rock within to soar into the air. Riyad turned back to glance at Kader, who offered him a sympathetic simper when hearing the young boy.

Though they sounded the same, there was often a difference between the two phrases. "God is Great" was often understood in moments of miracles in which the mercy, love, and favor of God was demonstrated. He'd heard it when they pulled the unharmed children from the rubble of the three-story building that had collapsed onto them. "God is Greater" served as a source of courage in testing moments, such as that of a sixteen-year-old boy sprinting toward life fire to shoot a defensive rock at the men killing those around him. It was said during fearful times as a reminder that what appeared so scary was minuscule in comparison to the surrounding universe. Both statements could be understood in the same two words, but the difference in intention was heard in tone and circumstance.

"Are you ready?" Kader asked, doing his best to pull Riyad's attention from the cries and shouts of the untrained civilians to his left after his gaze had trained on their struggle for too long.

When he turned back, Kader had noticed the change in Riyad's expression. His eyes were darker now. His eyelids had dropped as the muscles of his face relaxed to strengthen the focus of his eyes, giving him an almost predatory look that only touched Riyad's features when his protective instinct had kicked in. It was a rare sight to be seen, only appearing when something he'd witnessed touched on a memory of his past.

"How many have they killed?" Riyad questioned in response.

"Four, so far."

"Challenge accepted," he mumbled and turned away, lifting his head to await the signal that seemed like it would never come. Riyad impatiently tapped the barrel of his weapon and watched the children.

Finally, he heard an amplified shout in the distance.

"By our souls!" The first one called out and suddenly, all of them straightened and strengthened their grips on their weapons. Riyad and Kader tilted their heads back to join with the dozens of deep voices that seemed to reverberate through the grounds of the town, echoing over the gunshots and shouts of the unsuspecting civilians. "By our blood. You shall be free!" They announced their arrival.

Riyad dropped his head low, moving quickly around the corner as soldiers of The Resistance poured from every street and narrowed alley. They followed one another to fill the streets with white and black interwoven patterns symbolizing the organized effort.