Prologue 1

Atlas Spiritus Aritiri

8 Days ago

I HATED him. That was the only thought I had of my brother. For eighteen fucking years I hated the lazy prince that I thought my brother was. Hated that he didn't have to work for anything, while I, being the first born, shouldered the royal duties left to us in the wake of our parents death.

That was until three years ago when I felt his pain for the first time on our shared birthday. The day our magic woke and connected us as twins. I felt his soul deep agony that he endured every single day. I suffered with him for the next three years before I ever found out anything about him, except what the current ruling party and Regent wanted me to know.

I found where they kept him six months ago. Found out for the first time that I never had a brother at all. She was always my sister, a sister I never got the chance to meet. A sister whose only protection I could give was a small enchanted earring, crafted by my Quint brother Lucian, that could absorb only the sharpest edge of her pain. This was all I could do for her, except now I found a way. Intent and a sacrifice. I just hope that my Quint brothers understand why I had to do this. I wish more than anything that Valdis could forgive me for not saving her sooner.