The 65th Tribute

There were a few 'secrets' that were universally known by everyone in District Four. 

Number 1. Everyone hated the capitol. 

Number 2. Mrs. Valentine was definitely sleeping with peacekeepers to reduce the number of times her daughters' names were in the bowl for the Hunger Games reaping. 

And Number 3. the charming Finnick Odair was completely and utterly besotted by Panem's Siren Evadine Ripley. Everyone in the district seemed to recognize this fact apart from the girl herself. 

Since they met two years prior, Finnick had followed the lonely little girl like a puppy begging for attention. He would receive teasing from nearly everyone he knew about his crush, his own mother was relentless on the poor boy. Not to mention the terrifying glares he received from peacekeepers when he stood too close to her. 

"Evadine!" 

One single call of the Odair boy's voice and a dozen adults smirked to themselves, sharing conspiring looks as they glanced at the boy racing towards his crush. 

"And we've lost him." Ronny sighed looking at Colton. The moment Finnick caught sight of Evadine's bright pink dress he had sprinted off down the road. "I feel abandoned, Ron. We've been USED! How could he do this to us, tossed aside like common whores!" Colton dramatically pretended to wipe tears from his eyes, collapsing on his knees and crying out 'I thought what we had was special!' 

"Shut up Col, let's catch up before he drools on the poor girl." Ronny laughed taking off towards his friend.

"Hi, Finn!" She smiled back turning to see the boy she had come to adore, racing towards her. The basket in her hands made it impossible to hug him so she settled for a quick flick of her fingers to act as a wave. 

"Need help?" Finnick offered, cheeks stained red the moment he was in her presence. He didn't wait for a response as he took the basket of nets from her hands following after her. 

"Thank you! You can put them there." Evadine smiled as he carried the basket to the awaiting truck. Ronny and Colton finally caught up. Ronny smiled throwing his arm around the small 12-year-old girl, "Well if it isn't the other woman." 

"Hello Ron, Colt. I'm surprised you're not off staring lovingly into each other's eyes." Evadine teased, pushing Ronny's arm off her shoulders. 

"And miss you? NEVER!" Colton smirked stealing a flower from her hair and placing it behind his own ear. 

"So... First Reaping tomorrow... How are you feeling?" Ron asked, dropping the teasing for a more sincere look. 

"Oh, I'll be fine... But... I have a bad feeling for Finn." Evadine admitted. He was fourteen, this was the year he would be selected for the Hunger Games. She knew he would win, but it broke her heart to think of all the struggles he would endure in the process. 

"Don't worry, Eva. He won't get picked... He's only in it three times." Ron comforted, looking to Finnick as he raced back with a smile on his face. 

Their hearts dropped to their feet, looking at their best friends remembering the fourth secret that everyone in District four knew... Evadine Ripley was always right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finnick's heart was beating out of his chest as he glanced over at the girls' group. There she was dressed in a flowing green dress, dark curls with flowers braided in and strings of beads flowing. She was the most beautiful girl in all of Panem and now she was possibly facing death in the games.