9: A Night Visit

Akosua held her yard stick up to the blackboard and ran it down along the image of the skirt. "Remember that this pattern is designed to close with two rows of buttons for adjustments. If you prefer hooks and eyes you will need to make adjustments to the waistband beforehand. Also, keep in mind the sort of fabric we are using for this project. The linen will not pass the same as the silk and you need to take your gathers into account when sewing on the waistband."

A maid knocked on the door and all the students turned in their seats. "Miss, you have a visitor."

Excusing herself from the class, Akosua went downstairs and out front of the school. Immediately she smiled when she saw her brother. "Adolph!" She hurried to him. "You are always so reluctant to come to Bethsaida."

"I had to see my little sister."

She looped her arm through his. "Well, I've been well so there is no need to worry."

"Good. You'll need to show me some of your work later."

"Does this mean you'll stay for lunch?"

"I'll do my best."

Akosua smiled as they walked on, moving under the shadow of shade trees. "I cannot believe this news about his majesty. The students will not stop going on about it. One of the girl's father works in the palace and he witnessed a manservant wave the king's robes from the rooftop and drop them to the ground. What happens next?"

"His majesty has chosen an heir. Father says he is a good crown prince."

Akosua squeezed his arm. "I cannot believe he is good simply because others say so."

Adolph kissed her hand. "I will not ever make the same mistakes again."

Akosua took a deep breath. "You must be up to your neck in litigation. It is not fair to leave it all to Hoopoe. Might there be anything I could help you with?"

Adolph felt a little abashed. "To be honest I wanted to ask you a few things." He reached into his satchel and took out the handbill. "Have you seen anything like this?"

Akosua took it and shook her head. "No. Goodness, Adolph. Is this something you found on the street?"

"No. Unfortunately."

"Then it isn't child's play?"

"No."

Akosua tugged at her bonnet ribbons. "Where did it come from?"

Adolph put the handbill away. "I do not know yet. Kailyete says it arrived at the foundling home but seems intended for Agriculture Bureau. Other Bureaus have received one as well. I wanted to see if you had too, in the event this person was targeting businesses."

Akosua shook her head. "But the paper. I believe I have seen it before. Yes. It has been some time but Prince Gao... he always seemed to have a stock of paper like this on hand. Aside from being pink it also has a unique texture to it."

"You wouldn't happen to have any left over would you?"

Akosua shook her head.

"But he only used it for special correspondences regarding his family's business or the bureau."

"Merchants Bureau is yet to receive a handbill," Adolph said. "Interesting."

They stepped from under the trees, their grandmother's old house now in view. Pale blue with a tower and bowing windows and large embellishment.

"I know she never saw me as her heiress," Akosua said.

"She owed it to you."

"Adolph."