4: People at Work

Taking what he considered enough rest, Adolph arrived at Watershed County Hall. Its brick edifice and oriel windows were blue and topped with a yellow belfry. As the sun came up its rays shone through the fry and spilled onto the street. It had been three months since he climbed the broad steps and stood between the pillars. Though the work he took on daily was taxing, he found a certain comfort to return to his routine despite Hoopoe having implored him to take one more day for himself.

In the lobby he removed his top hat and greeted the receptionist who stood at his entrance. The other men there nodded and shook his hand, each pleased to have him return. They asked about his journey, they asked how the nations compared and they never missed a chance to ask about his father.

"Good day, sirs." He waved his hat at them and made his escape upstairs. On the second floor he breezed down the hall, only making short salutations to the people he met. As he neared his office, he stopped at an open door nearby. He could hear the men inside and knew each of them well. Peaking around the corner, he kept himself out of sight. He was their peer in life but their senior at work. Each had gone to school and worked hard to become councilmen. Adolph too had gone to school and worked hard but there was always the nagging thought that he had been grandfathered in.

Each man was at work, either reading paperwork, or scribbling on the blackboard. When Adolph walked in and announced himself, they stood at attention.

"Very nice, gentlemen. I am pleased to see you hard at work. "How were things in my absence?"

"Well, your honor," one of the men answered.

"The secretary of foreign affairs paid call," another man said.

"Retba was here?" Adolph asked.

"His face looked perturbed," another man said.

"He always looks that way after failing to instate public flogging," said another.

The men laughed.

"That is enough," Adolph said. "We must respect him. Back to work, gentlemen." He went for the door.

As Adolph stepped into his office, he felt a little weight lift off his shoulders. Dropping his briefcase into the nearby chair, he stretched then stepped back when he saw a man seated at his desk.

"Morning, Adolph."

"Teddy?"

Theodore Duck-Toller smiled. His pink, plump face, pleasant.

"There is a letter here for you," Teddy held up the envelope as he stood. "I'm sorry friend, I hope I've come at a good time."

"It is always nice to see you."

"I wish I had that same reaction from everyone. People seem to think I'm collecting charity or trying to sell them something."

Adolph laughed. "It must be the clothes. So, to what do I owe the visit?"

Teddy tapped the pendant of his necklace around Adolph's desk. "I met a friend of yours in my circuit work. Benjamin Bronzefinch."

"Benjamin? It has been a while since I've spoken to him."

"That is not the way he made it seem. I had the impression you were boon companions."

"Teddy, you were there in those days."

"I try not to remember. Well, he would like to see you."

"Whatever for? Does he need help?"

"Why don't you go and see?"

"Theodore, they live in Numberland. That is in the high north. I can't just go there for a social call."

"Not everything is about work or play."