20

Word Count: 2115

~Avila

I stare out across the ballroom, letting my gaze drag over each person in turn.

This has all happened so quickly. My mother's annual ball is here and I've already been introduced to six people who immediately broke into stories about the old me.

Most just stay their distance, watching from afar like they fear they will contract whatever sickness they thought I once had.

I don't mind. I don't feel like talking much tonight.

Crimson crosses the ballroom with grace and ease, her smile curving up as she approaches me. Her dress is a deep shade of red, so magnificent it draws the attention of everyone she passes by.

"Wow, you look beautiful." She takes my hands into hers, looking over me.

"Thank you," I say, knowing she picked it out for me. I came into my room earlier today and it was laid across my bed.

The fabric is stark white, the diamond encrusted bodice constricting my ribs while the skirts flow dramatically around my legs. It looks like a wedding dress, which I assume is the idea. A large point of this ball is to advertise Vade and I's up and coming nuptials.

It's ironic, really. Vade hasn't been near me the entire night, although I don't think anyone has noticed.

"You look like the Princess you are," she gushes, shifting to stand next to me as we overlook the rest of the people who stand around drinking and eating. They have yet to start dancing.

I fold my arms over my chest. "I don't feel like one."

I've been in a bad mood all day. I'm not sure why because the festivities are actually quite fun. The whole time I've been here since waking in the tomb the ballroom has been empty aside from a few pieces of furniture covered in white cloth. Now, the place has been dressed up divinely, the theme black and red.

I'm the only one dressed in white. I look like prey amongst predators.

"I want to apologise about what happened the other night," she muses, watching the side of my face. "You understand it is just because we are trying to find answers."

My jaw tightens. I'm having a hard time forgiving her for this, although I suppose I understand. We need to test everything. I just wish she didn't use methods like that.

"Do you truly believe dark magic is involved?" I ask lowly.

If anyone were to overhear, the news would spread faster than fire through the woods in summer.

"That's what we are trying to find out," Crimson responds, smiling at a couple who passes us by.

"And did they find anything?"

"The findings they did manage to scrounge together were inconclusive," she responds tightly, clearly irritated at the results, which only turned out that way because Vade managed to save me before anything more invasive could be done.

"Oh..."

I can't decide if I'm grateful for that or not. Part of me wants to know, and the other doesn't. Even if dark magic was involved, knowing that would only hurt me.

"People at this ball tonight have been warned against speaking to you about your old life," Crimson explains. "They know to introduce themselves, but not to overwhelm you."

That hasn't exactly been the case tonight, however, I appreciate the effort at the very least.

"That's a relief," I say anyway.