25

Word Count: 1943

~Avila

Vade and I walk side by side. We've been in an uncomfortable silence for about ten minutes now.

We've been given very strict instructions from Roel: go on a date, get to know each other.

Vade insisted he chooses where the date's taking place, which has only unnerved me more. I found him standing outside, waiting for me in casual clothing before he gestured for me to follow him.

Now, he's leading me into the neighbouring forest, giving me no indication of where we are heading.

There is every chance he's finally going to off me so he can evade the wedding happening tomorrow.

"So, how does it feel knowing tonight is your last night as a bachelor," I ask, cutting through the silence, hoping to ease the awkwardness.

He stares straight ahead. "Fine, I suppose."

We haven't spoken since a week and a half ago when I caught him coming home covered in someone else's blood. I haven't asked about it because I don't want to explain that I was at a meeting with a group of rebels and that I kissed their leader.

"I wonder if it will feel different," I murmur.

"It won't," he responds tightly, finally glancing down at me. "Although your obligations will increase as you legitimatise your royal placement."

The sigh that escapes me is one of pure irritation. "Just what I need, more things to think about."

After my miserable kiss with Emerick, Vade has become all I think about. The connection went beyond experience...It felt right, real.

Too bad he can't stand me when his lips aren't pressed against mine. His want for me might only be physical, nothing more.

I mean, I'm dressed up for a proper date, and he's dressed for, well, a walk through the forest. He doesn't want any part of this but is entertaining Roel to get him off his back.

"Where we are heading will take your mind off tomorrow," he tells me.

I stare at him sidelong, apprehension creeping across my skin. "You're not going to kill me, are you?"

He shakes his head. "No."

Sticks and dried leaves crunch underfoot as we continue through the trees. The evening is drawing toward night, causing deep shadows to curl around the thick boughs.

"It's just you did return home last week covered in blood," I bring up, hoping he doesn't press me any further on what I was doing that night.

"I hunt occasionally," he responds smoothly. "There are plenty of creatures around here with teeth and claws and bad intentions."

The softest smirk pulls at the corner of his lips as he looks down at me with wicked eyes. For the briefest moment, I get the feeling he's implying he's the creature with bad intentions, but I brush the thought away.

"Are they out here now?" I question, looking over my shoulder apprehensively. No one has told me of such shadow-dwelling monsters.

Vade looks ahead again, amusement glinting in his eyes. "I'll protect you."

He may be exaggerating about the creatures, but I sidle up a little closer to him as we walk.

Soon enough, Vade pauses in a completely random spot where the trees are especially close together.

"Here we are," he claims, starting to move about thick branches and undergrowth from the ground, tossing them behind him. Slowly, they reveal a dark chasm in the ground.

I watch on warily, my arms wrapped around myself. "A hole?"

"Uh-huh."

"Does it lead to another dimension?"

Vade laughs roughly, rubbing the dirt from his hands. "Not quite."

"Are you going to bury me alive? I have experience with that, and it's not pleasant," I remind him, shuddering.

"Jump down and find out," he encourages, nodding at the hole.

I take a healthy step back, true fear sparking in my veins. He can't actually think I'll willingly jump into a pool of complete darkness? He could be luring me to my death...

"Seriously?" I ignore his pressing stare. "Tell me what's down there first."

"Take a chance," he insists, his voice softening. "Trust me."

This is a test, I realise. Marriage is about trust. In reality, it should be Vade plunging feet first into the darkness upon my instruction.

I take another look down the whole, hoping to see something. I can't envisage what could possibly be down there, but it's clear this exercise of trust is what's needed to have our married life start off positively.

With trembling steps, I move forward until my toes balance on the edge of the small hole.

Glancing up at Vade, I wait for him to tell me to stop, that this was just a silly test and he doesn't actually want me plunging into the unknown.

Instead, he just nods once, encouraging me.

Drawing in a deep breath, I step out and fall.

For a moment, I'm suspended in the air, falling and falling into the darkness. It lasts only a brief few seconds before I hit the surface of water, sinking below the surface.

The water's icy cold grip seizes me, along with a generous helping of panic.

Since coming back to life, I've never had to swim before...

My head emerges above the surface, my gasping breaths echoing around the space. My arms and legs flail about, and by some miracle - or perhaps instinct - I stay afloat.

"Vade?" I call out into the darkness, swimming about, trying to find a way out that I cannot see.

The sound of splashing from behind me signals that Vade has joined me in this body of water. At that moment, lights appear in a circle around me, seemingly turned on by magic.

I look about, mystified.

This is some kind of cave with a frighteningly deep pool of water taking up most of it's space. The dark walls rear upwards, broken only by the single hole in the ceiling that we dropped through. Around the water is a crowd of smooth rocks that I immediately swim towards.

"See, you're fine," Vade calls out from behind me.

"I could have drowned! I haven't swam before," I growl out, clambering onto the stones, my pretty outfit now completely drenched.

"Your ability is instinct, muscle memory," Vade exclaims, wading over to me. "You used to love swimming before...what happened to you."

I mutter curses under my breath as I start wringing the water from the skirt of my dress.

Vade steps from the water, his white shirt now plastered against his torso. I let my attention linger on his muscled stomach and single tattoo snaking up from his hips toward his chest before I concentrate on what's going on around me.

"Who set all this up?" I ask.

There is no way this is natural. The cave, the water, yes, but not the lit torches hanging out from the stony walls, lighting the area.

"Me. Only I know about it," Vade explains, sweeping a hand through his soaking locks, the water trickling over the skin of his face magnificently.

"It's beautiful," I admit, even if the pitch-black water is unnerving. "Is this where you escape to at night?"

Vade sits beside me. "Sometimes."

I stare at the side of his face, at his hardened jaw and tired eyes. He's showing me something special to him that he's kept to himself for who knows how long.

This is his gesture of trust, telling me he's ready to share his life with me.

"Thanks for taking me here," I breathe. "I hope there is a way out."

"There's a cave system on the other side of the water. It comes out at the hill north of here," he assures me, wiping the water from his face.

"Ah. Good."

Silence stretches between us again, except this time, it isn't awkward. When I glance to the side, I see Vade deep in thought.

"I'm sorry about kissing you the other night," he murmurs.

I blink. "Oh...you don't need to apologise."

That kiss was exactly what I needed. It's complicated my feelings, but I see now that there's a spark between Vade and I that has a chance to grow into something real in the future.

"It was wrong of me." He shakes his head. "We had both been drinking, and I was..."

"You were what?" I push.

Vade inclines his head, a muscle in his jaw ticking. Whatever it is he's feeling, he's ashamed for feeling that way. Something tells me this is about Emerick. At that moment, I realised Vade could be far more possessive than I realised.

"I don't know."

"Is this about that man?" I ask, careful not to overstep while I pry for more information.

"You shouldn't speak to strangers, Avila." Vade turns his body to face me. "There are people out there that want nothing more than to eat you alive."

"I'm never going to see that man again," I tell him quickly, although I'm not sure I mean it. Emerick isn't going to give up easily.

"Good," Vade nods. "Good."

I angle my head. "When we marry, will you be less secretive with me?"

"What's to say I'm keeping secrets?" His eyes darken. I hate that it's so alluring. It makes it more difficult to push him for answers.

"Oh please, you can't fool me." I shove his shoulder playfully. "I know absolutely nothing about you."

He smirks, leaning back against the stony wall.

"You know I like to hunt, to read and to swim."

"That's not enough," I groan. "Why are you nothing like your retched father?"

He sighs, a small frown touching his forehead. "I'm more like my mother, I like to think. But there is parts of my father in me. Dark, regrettable parts."

I scan his face, not believing that. He may be secretive, but he's not evil or conniving. Harbouring secrets is a skill attained by all royalty, I've come to notice. Knowing Emerick and the rebels is a fact I keep to myself, so it seems I am quickly learning how all this works.

"Where is your mother?" I ask tentatively.

"Gone."

"Oh..."

"My father came into wealth when I was a lot younger, and it pushed my mother away. She hated who he became," Vade explains tersely, his smile hateful.

"She didn't take you with her?"

"She thought my father's money could give me a better life." Vade's stare is icy, years of trauma haunting him. "I can't disagree."

"Really? You seem miserable."

He hates his father, misses his mother and is being forced to marry me. I can imagine there could have been a much more satisfying fate for him...one where he could choose to marry for love.

"I have a purpose here," he says assuredly. "And I don't take back meeting you. I don't regret this union."

He says it so tenderly, so truthfully, that I can't help but let a smile slip. The fleeting moments of attention he gives me are enough to leave me hopeful that there will be more to this marriage eventually.

"I really needed to hear that," I murmur.

Tomorrow, Vade and I will be married. There is no stopping it now. We will be forced into each other's proximity much more, and...there's the matter of our consummation.

Vade grabs my hand, nodding to the water. "Let's swim before you get too cold."

I follow him in, leaving behind all my worries of tomorrow.

❤️••❤️

Want more? You can read the COMPLETED version on Radish! (:

Thank you all for reading! I hope you enjoyed (:

Out now on Wattpad, The Alpha's Mistress!

I hope you check it out (:

~Midika 💜🐼