Chapter 32: Clearing Doubts and Engaging in Wit

Lin An cast a pleading look at Nian Wenran. He couldn't resist the enthusiasm of the old man.

Nian Wenran stepped forward and said to the old man, "Grandpa, don't scare him."

Grandfather Nian gave Nian Wenran a harmless glare and said, "Grandpa is not joking; I'm serious."

"Alright, Grandpa, the company's matters can wait. Let's talk about it later, okay?" Nian Wenran swayed and clung to Grandfather Nian's arm.

Helplessly, Grandfather Nian sighed but didn't continue the topic. However, he was genuinely anxious about this matter; as he gets older, the urgency increased.

After chatting with the old man for a while and having dinner, the old man went to attend to his own matters. Nian Wenran took Lin An to stroll in the yard.

Lin An finally asked the question that had piqued his curiosity for a long time: "Why is Grandfather Niann so persistent about the successor?"

Nian Wenran didn't find Lin An's question strange and replied, "Are you wondering why Grandpa doesn't hire a professional manager to run the company?"

Lin An nodded, genuinely curious. In his view, if they couldn't find a suitable successor, wouldn't hiring a professional manager be a better choice?

Nian Wenran sighed and expressed her own distress about the matter, "This is also Grandpa's heartache..."

Listening to Nian Wenran's words, Lin An finally understood the inside story.

The company of Nian Wenran's family was a family business with various relatives involved.

However, at that time, Grandfather Nian had an exceptionally outstanding daughter, so he naturally didn't pay much attention to these relatives.

Nian Wenran's mother was a talented manager and the chosen successor carefully cultivated by Grandfather Nian. However, due to Grandfather Nian's overprotection, she fell victim to a pretty boy while attending college.

The old man was ruthless; when Nian's mother didn't comply, he cut off her financial support. Despite the hardship, Nian's mother didn't return home as expected.

Instead, she started working hard with the pretty face. However, with Grandfather Nian's interference, she remained in a state of being neither starved nor rich.

The pretty boy was only after money. Seeing Grandfather Nian's firm attitude towards his only daughter and the intention to pass control to his younger brother's child.

The pretty boy thought entering the wealthy family was hopeless. Taking advantage of his good looks, he hooked up with a generous wealthy woman, promptly leaving Nian's mother.

Devastated, Nian's mother, who had been following Grandfather Nian's actions, appeared in time to bring her daughter back. Coincidentally, Nian's mother was pregnant, and at that time, she considered an abortion. However, due to health reasons, she decided to keep the child.

As soon as her mother came back, the old man joyfully sent his daughter into the company for training.

The pretty boy somehow got wind of the news that Nian's mother was pregnant, and he came to cause trouble. The pretty boy made Nian's mother uneasy during her pregnancy.

When the delivery date was approaching, the pretty boy came again, realizing he had done many unscrupulous things during this time. However, relying on his identity as the biological father, he continued to cause trouble.

Someone suggested to him to ask for a breakup fee, guaranteeing that he would stay away from the Nian family. In reality, he planned to take the money, enjoy a few years, and then come back to exploit the situation after the child grew up a bit.