Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Red's New Home

'It's temporary,' said Sol, as he led the way for Red, Alya, and Red's father, Austin.

'I can't thank you enough, sir,' said Austin, emphatically, as he leaned forward to shake Sol's hand for the sixth time.

'Austin, please,' said Sol. 'It's the least I could do. I don't understand how you and your family have been overlooked so badly for so long. I'm going to sort this out for you just as soon as I can, but meanwhile, this will have to do.'

Sol glanced around the sorry-looking apartment that he'd managed to source in South-East, just on the border with East-Side. It was stark and in need of repairs and painting but it was quiet and safe and significantly bigger than the pit Red and his family had been living in.

'Wow,' said Red, looking at the large living space that led straight out onto a balcony.

Alya followed him and together they leaned over the wooden railings and tried to make sense of their surroundings. Alya pointed out South-East Beach in the distance, the curve of the sand and sparkle of the water visible from their vantage point.

'What floor are we on?' asked Red.

'I think it's the seventh floor,' said Alya.

'That's ok,' approved Red. His old apartment in East-Side was on the second floor, barely enough height to launch and a bit risky in case of an error in judgement. The buildings in East-Side were so jampacked together that it was difficult to launch from anywhere except the very top of an apartment block, roof.

'Pleasure cruise,' said Alya, nodding towards a flotilla in the distance.

Red stared and watched intently as it sailed away. Alya studied Red's face as he concentrated on the boats. She noticed that his brown eyes could change depending on their setting. If he was indoors, they appeared really dark brown, but when they were in the light, they appeared chocolate brown with lighter hazel flecks in them. His freckles too were more noticeable in the sunlight and Alya couldn't help but notice that it looked as if they'd been painted on or strategically placed to make him look more handsome; one above his top lip, a cheekbone, nestled in the corner of his forehead, lightly dotted upon his nose and the start of his cheeks.

Alya blushed a little when Red's instinct told him she was studying him. He elbowed her slightly so her arm fell off the railing, and they both laughed.

'I think I'm gonna like it here,' said Red, turning and facing Alya square on.

Alya turned to him and smiled 'I think you will, it's about time you moved up in the world,' she joked, 'even if it is only the seventh floor.'

Alya held her breath as she watched Red's expression change. Had she gone too far? She ought not to joke about things that were actually very important to other people. Oh no, what had she done? Red looked as if he was going to cry.

'I'm so glad you're here,' said Red, and without thinking he pulled her close to him and hugged her.

Alya felt as if she were drowning at first in Red's powerful bear hug but she turned her head slightly and laid it against his chest. She could hear his heart racing; but as the seconds went by and he held her it decelerated, and she allowed him to hold her longer than anyone ever had, until his heart beat normally again and his breathing regulated, and then they pulled apart and smiled at each other.

Sol and Austin stepped out on the balcony in the midst of their continuing discussion with Alya's father still trying to reassure Red's father.

'I'm sending Dali around in the morning. She's my friend's fiancé. He might come too if he can schedule you in; he's Patrol but don't be alarmed he's one of the good guys, and he knows about this, about you.'