12. Confrontation

(HI!! I'm back again, and I definitely lied about the wait time. I've stopped caring about II as much, So I've been less motivated to finish this fic. I'll try to finish it up before moving to another project, though.)
___

Paintbrush looked at his luminescent
friend, Shocked at her question. They
took a step back. Purely confused above
all else.

"What?.."

They asked, obviously caught offguard by the question.

"Suitcase was talking to me earlier, and she brought up this confusing story.. she said I had died, and was brought back? It doesn't sound believable, but I just thought I'd ask."

Lightbulb fidgeted with her hands as she spoke, seemingly a bit nervous.

Paintbrush couldn't find the words to respond, breathing pattern becoming asymmetrical.

They stared blankly for a solid few seconds before snapping back to reality

Their eyes began to gleam with tears threatening to spill, though they fought them back. They couldn't lie to Lightbulb, but they had to..

"Lighty, I promise you that I would never do that. Plus, it wouldn't make sense. I don't think anyone can bring back the dead besides mephone, and we're off show grounds so we aren't even in his range."

Paintbrush threw together whatever they could, somehow making it sound believable. They felt awful lying to their friend, but what were they going to do? Tell her they had MURDERED her?

Lightbulb flashed a smile before letting out a soft laugh

"I guess you're right, That was a silly thought, huh?"

Paintbrush merely nodded, as that was all they could muster.

Lightbulb flashed them a warm smile before she turned to stride back down the hall to her own room.

Paintbrush opened the door to theirs, noticing Test tube was there, she must've walked back before they did, which was rare for her as she was usually down in her laboratory during the day.
Paintbrush flopped down beside her, a mind full of panic and sorrow, yet not being able to tell anybody.

Then it dawned on them. Suitcase knew. Suitcase was going to tell everybody. They could let that happen, they had to do something, they had to--

Paintbrush knew what they had to do, but the thought made them sick to their stomach. They closed their eyes tight, attempting to avoid the inevitable.

"You alright there, brush?"

Test tube asked, a bit confused as to why Paintbrush was simply lying on her bed, eyes squeezed shut.

Paintbrush opened their tired eyes, looking up at their roommate

"Not quite, But I will be eventually"

Paintbrush gave Test tube a weak smile, attempting to reassure her. It was a feeble attempt, but it was an attempt nonetheless.

Test tube give an expression of pity to her friend, definitely worried.

"I think you should get some rest.. you've seemed really stressed the last few days."

Test tube softly spoke, offering her helpful advice as she always would. Paintbrush didn't deserve her after all they had done, but they were grateful nonetheless

"I guess you're right.."

Paintbrush sat up, turning to face their roommate.

Test tubes eyes widened for a split second as she felt her roommate lean into her. She slowly wrapped her arms around Paintbrush, silently comforting them. They remained like that throughout the night ad the two slowly drifted to sleep, embracing eachother in silence.

___

Ok longer chapter because I want to actually get to the more interesting parts of this as fast as possible!! No clear time for the next chapter, hopefully not too far away though!!