Speaking the Same Language

The yacht was almost deserted. Most kids were swimming under the stars, splashing each other around a gigantic floating island, but Mauro had stayed behind.

He'd come to see Margherita after Laura's unexpected invite on Insta. It had taken him five hours to drive all the way up from Tuscany, where he'd been vacationing with his family. He didn't care about Laura's likely evil goal in inviting him; he'd do anything to surprise Marghe on her birthday. Also, why was she here in the first place?

Vincitore sidled up to him. "Welcome on board. Wanna fish?"

Mauro jumped out of his skin. "We are not okay!"

Luca was sullen. "Agreed. At least, I am definitely not okay."

This was the first time Re had spoken to Mauro, and Mauro was blown away by the king's dejected and strangely honest response. Mauro regrouped and countered, "Dude, whatever happened, it's nothing compared to all the harassment you put Margherita through."

Up close, Mauro Arcani was not a dork at all. Summer had bleached his wild blond hair. He was tanned and in excellent shape. Had Margherita texted him about the kiss? Or was Mauro talking about the red card?  

"You know her real well, huh?" Re asked.

"You bet. She's sweet and cheerful, always ready to lend a hand. She'd be surrounded by friends if it wasn't for you."

Re doubted anyone could find friends in that pool of sharks that was Vincitore Academy.

He said, bitter, "Well, sounds like you're in love. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure she's into me. Sorry to disappoint you."

Mauro scoffed. "No way, man. Are you lying to me or yourself?"

Luca let the question hang, pondering the answer. "You know I didn't mean to scare you, when you slipped off the roof, right? I had no idea you were up there."

"Yea, right. I guess you didn't mean to almost kill my brother?"

Luca was too sad to get worked up. "We cannot talk about that. Wanna fish or not?" Vincitore pulled his rod back and cast into the sea.

Mauro seized another fishing rod from the few Re had brought on deck, not questioning why the king wouldn't be swimming with everyone else. "I'll show you fishing, jerk!"

Vincitore didn't even protest at the name calling.

Margherita, crushed and exhausted, walked on deck

Margherita, crushed and exhausted, walked on deck. It was almost eleven and the boat was deserted. Splashing and cheering moved her gaze to the floating island where everyone was hanging out. A couple was making out on a bench, so she walked in the opposite direction.

Yelling caught her attention. She recognized Re's voice as well as Mauro's and panicked. The two had gotten into a fight, and Re would certainly massacre him.