Jealousy

That afternoon, Lorenzo wasn't at the pool. What had Margherita expected? Yet, she lingered by the door.

"Move it."

Stunned, Margherita turned to face Lorenzo Tristante in the flesh.

He lowered his gaze to meet hers. "What?"

"You startled me."

Amazement at his presence mixed with hope and disappointment; hope that he might at least like hanging out with her and disappointment for being so stupid to still hope.

"Not my problem," he replied, cold. "Why are you here, anyway?"

She hesitated, since she'd been swimming pretty much every day, often with this very same guy asleep on a chaise. Lorenzo was acting stranger than usual.

He added, "Oh well, I guess I might as well lie down. Excuse me."

Re had seen Lorenzo entering the building and had trotted to catch up with him, overhearing the tail end of his conversation with Margherita. Filled with dread, Re leaned his back against the pool's door, so that he could eavesdrop discretely, not like anyone would give him a hard time about it.

He had not forgotten the scene at the cafeteria, on the previous spring, nor how Lorenzo had danced with Pescatore on the yacht during the summer.

How long had Lorenzo been meeting with Pescatore at the pool? Had he always acted so awkward around her? Re slapped a hand against the wall in rage. Why his own best friend, damn it?

On the other side of the door, Lorenzo sat on his usual lounge chair. "What are you so happy about?"

Margherita's voice echoed in the empty pool. "Well, I thought you hated me after what happened last summer."

Luca paled. What had happened?

Lorenzo chuckled. "For real? I'd never hate you."

Had they hooked up and then she'd dumped him? No way. Lorenzo would have told him, right? Although he was cagey by nature and, when confronted directly, he had not denied liking Pescatore—even in front of Ludo. Luca slowly slid to the ground, crouching, arms over his head.

A couple of boys passed him by in the hallway, whispering, "I guess the king got dumped, huh?"

"What did you say?" Luca straightened, murder in his eyes.

"Oh, come on, just kidding."

The guy—his name was Francesco—was as tall as Luca, which was well above average, but twice as large. In fact Francesco had been lifting weights and training, biding his time, waiting for the perfect occasion to take down the king in a fair fight. Francesco was running for Student Council President, and his notoriety needed a boost.

He said, "I want no trouble, Vincitore, I respect you and your family, but if you're ever itching for a fair fight..."

Luca smiled a deranged grin. "I'd love one. Right now?"

The guy shrugged. "Sure."

He gestured for Luca to come forward. Luca could not believe his luck.

On her way to the locker room, Margherita glanced outside the double doors' window onto the hallway, where she'd heard talking; Re had his back to her, facing two guys. She knew one of them, a rather popular fifth-year who was running for Council President. The guy grinned at Luca.

That was all it took.

Without warning, Re jutted forward and attacked him. Francesco dodged, but Luca got him with a left uppercut that sent the massive dude sprawling to the ground. The guy's friend rushed to check on him.