- introductions -

john b's intro like in episode one 🙏

DISCLAIMER!! the beginning of this fanfiction is honestly kind of bad and there may be a few typos i didn't pick up on but genuinely please like get 10 chapters in before clicking off cause the writing DOES improve i promise😭😭

/////////////////////

The Outer Banks, 'Paradise on Earth.' I guess it's the kind of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. Two tribes, one island.

So there is Figure Eight, the rich side of the island- home of the Kooks. So, guess where we don't live?

And then there's the south side - or the cut. Home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters. The natural habitat of... The Pogues, thats us. Pogues, pogies; the throwaway fish.

Lowest member of the food chain.

The downside of Pogue life is we're ignored and neglected. But the upside of Pogue life? We're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want.

So we have JJ (Maybank), my best friend since the third grade, my younger sisters best friend from the fourth.

He's about as local as they come. Latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling vendetta-holding salt lifers who made their living off of the water.

Best surfer I know - just don't tell him that i said that - though he is a mild kleptomaniac and a future tax cheat.

And then we've got Kiara (Carrera), or Kie as we call her. When she's not saving turtles with Melia, listening to Marley or getting a dolphin tattoo - she hangs out with us. I'm not really sure why though, her and Melia have just always gotten along; drawing her to us.

So she's a rich kid, actually - Got her foot in both worlds. Her family owns the Wreck, Outer Banks institution. Total cash cow with the tourists.

Y'know, I'm not really sure how her parents feel about us. We all have a thing for her, especially Melia. Joking! She's straight.. I think.

And then there's Pope (Heyward), the brains of the operation... and finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship. The smartest person I know - little bit of a weirdo.

His father's this legendary character, Heyward. Anything you wanted on the island? Heyward could get it for you. Now, I'm not sure Heyward knew what to make of his oddball son, but it didn't really matter. He's a pogue, just like the rest of us.

And then, there's Emilia Routledge, Emi, Melia, Lia... whatever you want to call her. She's my short-tempered, idiotic younger sister, just by a year. I love her really.

She's an incredible artist, she could go so far with her talent, I just know it. She would thrive.

Her and JJ have this weird connection. Ever since I introduced them, they've been inseparable. Joined by the hip.

Secretly; I think they're perfect for each other - don't mention that.

Besides, me and her get along really well, especially since our Dad disappeared.

So that's my crew - and then there's me.
John Booker Routledge. And where I live? An old fish shack on the marsh. 'The Château' as my Dad and Melia would always call it.

About my Dad - he disappeared at sea nine months ago, looking for a shipwreck. Who even disappears at sea these days? Apart from my dad. I know Melia really misses him.

So do I.

My mom? She split when I was three and Emilia was two, she always blames herself for it.

It wasn't her fault.

Last I heard, she was in Colorado - I think it was Colorado?

And Uncle T? Since our dad vanished, he's supposedly our 'legal guardian'. Though he's up in Mississippi, 'building houses' - basically wasting away his money gambling. Which means it's just me and Emi right now, on our own, hangin' with our friends.

Three months after my dad went missing, he was officially presumed dead. Melia refused to sign the papers. Until we see a body? We aren't giving up.

But I can sense Melia's slowly losing her hope.