Watching Her. 16

Carters POV

Despite the noise in the meeting room, I positioned myself by the window. My back to the arguing as I watched the Villa. I noticed Erika had not left the house; it was already 11.00 am. If she were to exit through the back door, I wouldn't know if she had gone for a morning run.

Our routines were worlds apart. She indulged in late mornings. She followed that with mid-morning workout sessions. She stayed awake until the late hours. My schedule now had me rising at 4:00 am to engage in my training regimen and arriving in my office by 7:00 am.

Time was running out. Finding a solution to our response seemed impossible. Someone leaked the news of ancient werewolves in the area. It appeared I had information leaking everywhere.

They found only one girl hiding in the forest. She was in shock and wasn't talking. No one can place the multiple females' screams.

Clara's screech snapped me out of my thoughts. "Carter, are you paying attention?" she asked.

No, I am fucking not; you're a broken record, Clara. I kept that in my head. But her argument to remove the three Lycan females from the Estate was not an option. The back and forth was about Erika, Greta and Monica for the last two hours. All seemed to miss; we had some serious fucking nasty old-world creatures in our mountains.

I turned away from the window and observed the group gathered in the boardroom.

Niko and Max sat across from my father at the end of the long table. Clara paced back and forth, riling everyone else in the room, including her father and Thomas Cane, who managed the pack's finances. Malcolm Lannister, our pack's political advisor, was here. The only one missing was Guy, still on his way home.

Leah, my new PA, ended a call with her sister from the Everly pack. They were attacked, and our Alpha wants to keep it quiet. Leah tried to remain composed, but her concern for her sister was evident. The pack is small, with only 150 members who all fought back together during the attack.

I told Leah and her mate James they could leave today to assist their pack while we handled the situation. Two Enforcers will accompany them, along with some new team members arriving today.

Leah promised to return when I called, and I reassured her we had enough protection.

"Pack quickly. Tonight might be another long one. Sam will meet you at the gates with the Enforcers travelling with you". As soon as the door shut, Garrick was the first to speak.

"Do you think it is wise to send our men to defend another pack now when we need them to defend us?" he said, irritated. Like I was a fucking idiot.

Most found Garrick intimidating. He stood six and a half feet tall with broad shoulders. He had a thick, overly groomed beard covering most of his face. He had sharp cheekbones and piercing blue eyes that seemed to bore into anyone in his line of sight. But he was no warrior. His stature was the only intimidating weapon he owned. He and Thomas shared the same background and build. They were born into privilege and never made to train. They were pure politicians.

The man was dead against Enforcers. Now he wanted them around to protect his sorry ass.

How my father had suffered him so long, I would never understand.

"We let our guard down, and that was well before I took over. Retraining warriors is now going to be doubled."

I glared at him. He and Thomas Cane appointed themselves to oversee Clara and her warriors. Even as Alpha, my father had been away a lot. The pack day to day running was Garrick's department. Niko had been arguing with Thomas about the substandard entry gates. They were beautiful but impractical. That seemed to reflect most of this Estate. It was time to take matters into our own hands.