Deal or No Deal?

As Gabriel escorted me towards their dressing room, we talked as if we were there for hours. There were so many things that I couldn't even begin to wonder what happened after the incident. Turns out, she did end up in the hospital after the failed mission but was 'dead' at the surgery table for minutes. That was until she used her quirk to revive her heart as new.

Because her wing became a part of the crime scene, she had to go undercover until Luci was long gone from the press. This was why she deemed the name Gabriel under the supervision of performers alongside her worldwide tour.

I told her how things have been since being the new number 2 hero, but ever since her passing, I couldn't stop thinking about her.

"Look:" I began, staring straight at her, "I know you've been gone for a long while, but we need Luci back."
"Wait. What? Why should I go back to who I was before? You know, that's not my life anymore."
"I get it, but there's a reason why I'm asking this of you."

I then explained vaguely to Gabriel about the assignment. While I didn't want to tell her of my double agent life, I had to explain as best as I could.

"I see," Gabriel thought carefully, rethinking my request. "So what you're telling me: I need to work as your assistant while you are going to investigate the Nomu incident from a few months ago?"
"Yes! And to ensure no one suspects anything, I need you as my assistant."
"Ha! No."
"Oh, come on, Y/N! You get this once-in-a-lifetime chance to work with me! Plus, from what I'm told, assistance work pays more than being a singer."
"It was never about the money, Keigo." Gabriel said, looking out to her crew members, "It was all about the chance to be free. And going back... it'll make me feel like I'm caged again."
"Oh. I... I never thought about it like that before."
"No one does. Now, are we done? I have another song performance in a few."
"But... I thought that song from earlier was done."
"No. I have more than one, Keigo. Not like your love life. Now, leave."

Seeing YN leave, I stood up towards the seat and continued to walk towards the door.

"Well, you have my number and feather if you change your mind," I replied, leaving YN alone in their dressing room.

I didn't pursue any further since I knew YN well enough. Once she takes her time, she'll brush my feather between her fingers. Then we'll be ready.

*** YN's POV ***

As he was out of sight, I sighed deeply. It had been such a long time since I had seen him. After the incident, I was told Keigo and I should never connect again. From how the Commission had expressed it, it was for his safety. I knew it was so, but I could never forget him, even after all this time.

"Gabriel?" a voice called outside the dressing room.
"Yes?" I replied, trying to wipe any tears from my face.
"Your turn is about to start."
"Thank you."

Keeping my composure as best as I could, I looked right into the mirror with a smile and walked towards the stage. As I started to sing, I noticed that the world beyond the fans felt like nothing but echoes of diamonds shimmering in a cavern sea. It didn't brighten my moment, but it looked beautiful.

"Gabriel!" the intercom in my ear echoed, "You need to do something."

With a deep breath, I started to sing, but it wasn't something scheduled, but something unexpected:

"Dancing bears... painted wings..."

The voice went silent as I continued to sing.

"And a song... someone sings..."

Waiting on the impact, the crowd starts to cheer me on to hear my beautiful voice. However, the song remained paused for a moment as the song changed.

"It's easy to..."

Again, the crowd went silent.

"Easy to say..."

Expecting the impact once more, the crowd cheered again. However, the song didn't continue to move forward as Gabriel remained silent. It wasn't like me to remain silent or change songs midway either.

That was until a violin started to play and the real song began.

(Starts to sing after the violin plays)

While it was unlike me, I continued to sing my heart out. One by one, as people started to sleep, a group started to take each person one by one, escorted them to tents to sleep. As the song concluded, I removed the mic from my ear and return back to my dentist quickly as I could.

"Gabe, what's wrong?" Karasu asked.

Without uttering another word, I pushed her away and ran to my tent. Thinking I was exhausted, they didn't chase after me and left me alone. However, what they didn't realize was the pain I started to feel inside ached more and more. After entering my tent, I opened the essence box to absorb more. However, I noticed how my crystal heart was chipping away very slowly. Realizing how dangerous it can be without my essence,I had to think of something. Then, it hit me.

If I go back as a hero, I can access as many essential ingredients to ensure my power remains flow regularly. But that would mean, my old life would return back, making my current mission on pause. I didn't know what to do.

"Gabe," a voice called out from the back, "are you okay?"

Hearing my old friend from outside, I took a deep breath for a moment. I don't think I've ever told him my secret life before we met. But now, this has to be handled right now so it doesn't become a scandal later on. Opening the tent, I looked right at him.

"There's something I need to tell you."

He looked right at me concerned since it was unlike me to tell him something important.

*** Reader's POV ***

Minutes later, the phone began to ring. With a flick of his feather, Hawks picked up the phone.

"Hello?"
"You wanted Luci back?" Gabriel replied, "then you've got 'em!"