-21- Birthday Boy

"Easy strike!" Doctor Granger commented as his bowling ball hit the pins at the direct centre with intense speed, the pins collapsed like dominoes earning the athletic Doctor a strike.

"It's my birthday cmon, I should be winning!" Shane protested looking at the scoreboard as he slipped into 4th place, the only person he was ahead of was Leo who had been struggling to throw the bowling balls at fast speeds.

"Seems like a skill issue to me" Riley responded nudging Shane playfully, Shane gave him a kiss on the cheek as his turn came and went scoring a spare.

Riley looked around at the boys, everyone was smiling having a good time. It felt unnatural for some reason. They were all so fucked up. Yet right now they were happy, entertained by a simple game of throwing a heavy ball at some colorfully painted plastic pins to earn points that ultimately meant nothing.

"My turn" Riley announced picking up a bowling ball, he strided over to the runway stopping and throwing his bowling ball, it sped down the runway squeaking across the clean floor then hitting the pins directly earning Riley a strike.

"Go Riley!" Henry yelled "that's my boyfriend!"

"No he's my boyfriend!" Shane answered mocking defence and wrapping his arm around Riley, Riley rolled his eyes at the two goofballs stood in front of him.

Leo was up next, he stood up sheepishly trying to pick up a bowling ball needing to use both of his hands, he then gripped his fingers into the holes managing to hold it with one.

"Here" Riley gestured coming up behind Leo and helping him position, Leo flushed bright red as Riley's stomach pressed against his back. His hands moving down Leo's arms shifting them into a perfect stance "you like this?" Riley whispered roughly into his ear.

Shyly Leo nodded then threw the ball, he got a better score than he had before but still not great.

"You'll get the hang of it darling" Doctor Granger said reassuringly patting Leo on the back then giving Riley a warning glance, Riley put his hands up with a small chuckle as he took a seat beside Shane.

Shane was wearing the hoodie him and Leo had bought him, he liked it a lot which made Leo happy, Riley still thought it was kind of ugly but Shane suited the color better than he'd expected "So soft" Riley told him making Shane smile.

"It is yeah, I like it" he answered looking proudly at Leo who sat opposite them watching Henry bowl.

"Spare!" Henry shouted looking pleased with himself as his name slid into second place going above Riley's but keeping below Doctor Grangers.

"Don't get too comfortable in second place" Riley yelled over to him cockily, Henry stuck his tongue out at Riley walking over sitting beside Leo.

The game commenced quickly with each boy managing to score at least a spare, in the end Doctor Granger ended up winning, Riley took second, Shane managed to slip into third much to Henry's annoyance, Henry finishing fourth and Leo quite marginally behind in fifth. Not that the curly haired boy cared.

"Happy birthday Shane" Doctor Granger announced as they sat around a restaurant table, they'd just ordered food and were now drinking soda.

"Best birthday present ever, day out with my boyfriends, what more could I want?" Shane said cheesily making Riley gag slightly but also making butterflies flutter around in his stomach.

The good vibe however didn't last long for Riley, the food was soon served to them making Riley feel uneasy, as everyone dug into their food he stared at the plate of meat and chips grimly. His eyes flickered down to his stomach clutching it slightly, he couldn't gain more weight.

"You can do it babe, one chip at a time yeah?" Shane suddenly whispered in his ear rubbing his thigh comfortingly, Riley looked up at him shaking his head.

"I'll pass today" he whispered back glaring around the table hoping no one else was noticing, Doctor Granger was looking over but Henry and Leo were engrossed in a conversation whilst eating their own meals.

"It's my birthday, so eat for me. That'll be my present from you" Shane countered raising his eyebrows persuasively, damn that blonde and his seductive charm.

Hesitantly Riley picked a chip up, he looked at it for a second eyeing it up as if he were about to fight it, he then raised it to his lips eating it. He chewed the warm potato quickly swallowing it. "Happy?" He hissed at Shane.

"Not yet, finish the plate" Shane ordered nudging him with his shoulder, looking down at the plate of chips. Riley sighed heavily, he could always purge it once they got back. He finished the chips quickly not bothering with the meat. Shane seemed satisfied so it was fine.

"You did really well babe, I'm proud of you" Shane commented giving Riley a small smile, Riley rolled his eyes trying to avoid the affection.

"Well if I've gained too much, I'm holding you accountable birthday boy" he answered sharply.

Shrugging Shane replied "I'll happily be held accountable for that my love"

Doctor Granger paid the bill with no further items being added and they were on their way, the sun was setting slowly as they walked, Leo was clutching Shane's hand half asleep already he was so tired, Doctor Granger was behind them keeping a dutiful eye, Henry and Riley were walking side by side not holding hands, hand holding wasn't really Riley's thing.

"Do you ever think the sunset looks like fire?" Henry asked out of the blue staring off into the distance as they walked towards the parking lot.

"I guess" Riley shrugged "same kinda color scheme I suppose"

"I'd love to light it all on fire, the sky. Watch all the clouds burst into flames. I know that isn't possible but the spectacle would be amazing. And it's not like this world doesn't deserve it" Henry continued still looking up at the ombré sunset.

"And this is why you're not allowed near matches" Riley answered dryly making Henry scowl at him.

"I literally have a lighter" he protested but keeping his voice at a low level so Doctor Granger didn't hear.

Riley smirked at him "Just let me leave the house before you light in on fire please?" Riley requested.

Henry rolled his batting Riley round the face playfully "I love you all too much to burn this place down, not on his birthday especially" he added gesturing over the Shane.

Once they were in the car the engine roared up and the drive home began, Riley looked out the window at the scenery passing by. He remembered his first time doing this drive. In the back of that cop car. The night had changed so fast.

A soft kiss pressed onto Riley's cheek, he could feel it was Shane from how rough he was being, he let Shane nuzzle into his neck biting it slightly obviously wanting to leave a hickey.

"Didn't think you'd be that submissive" Shane commented in his ear.

"I didn't think you were such a pussy to only leave 1 hickey" Riley argued back tactically.

"Oh you're on" Shane vowed leaning back in being even tougher, Riley let himself relax into Shane's touch as the dark countryside passed them by. This felt right.

"Happy birthday Shane"