Chapter eighteen: I hope you dance

"I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Loving might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance.
-Leann Womack, "I Hope You Dance"

Luna lay in bed Friday night after Tom had left her alone in the dungeons. Oh my. I can't stand him. Yes I can. No I can't. He's awful. He's cruel and cold and awful. I can't stand him.

I can't believe he did that to me. He made me think he was going to kiss me again. Stupid prat. I'm a stupid prat. I actually believed he was going to kiss me. I wanted him to, too. I don't understand it. I can't stand him.

He was so close to me. He was so close. He smells so nice. His eyes frighten me. I feel like I'm falling into them. I wish I was home. No, I don't. I don't want to go back. Yes, I do. I hate this. I want to go home. I don't belong here. I don't belong with Tom Riddle. I belong with Harry, Neville, Ginny and the rest of them.

Cat was right. He might be good-looking, but he's absolutely rotten. To the core. I can't stand him. Ooh, I hope I'm right.

                                 •

Tom lay in bed Friday night after he had left Luna alone in the dungeons. She's obnoxious. I can't stand her. Yes I can. No I can't. She's annoying. She is stupid and prying and annoying. I can't stand her.
I can't believe that. She actually thought I was going to kiss her again. Silly girl. I'm a stupid prat. I actually wanted to kiss her. I'm going completely off my rocker. I don't understand it. I can't stand her.

She was so close to me. She was so close. She smells so nice. Her eyes frighten me. I feel like I'm drowning in them. I wish I'd never met her. No, I don't. I'm glad I met her. I don't know what I would do without her. She is all I have. I wish I had never met her. I hate this. I'm not meant for this. I'm not meant for Luna Lovegood. I'm meant for great things, things no wizard has ever dreamt of before, but not for Luna Lovegood.

Malfoy was right. I should have just scared her off. Then I would be rid of her. I can't stand her. I had damn well better be right.

                                   •

"Do you realize I've been here over five months now?" Luna asked as she stuck her wand behind her ear. She and Tom were in the Entrance Hall after breakfast on Saturday morning. Othello had his head poked out from her pocket.
"Yes, how fascinating," Tom replied dryly, leaning back against the wall.

Oblivious to his tone, Luna continued, "It's just...five months is such a very long time. And you know what's silly? I'm not even sure I want to go back anymore."

Tom glanced at her and noticed that she wasn't really talking to him, so much as to herself. She was staring off into space with her hands clasped in front of her, and she was rocking slowly back and forth from the heels to the balls of her feet. He said nothing.