Chapter 1

Ashton Dodd wished his last name wasn't Dodd. He wished he didn't look so much like the man he was watching through the bars of the holding cell. But there was nothing he could do about that. Clive Dodd was his father. He was also the reason he was being charged for a murder he didn't commit.

"Next week was the earliest," he told Ashton. "So you'll have to wait a week before you can get to the capital."

Ashton just leaned against the cold, hard wall of his cell and watched the man impassively, trying to convince himself they were strangers. It helped to soothe the betrayal of this murderer. He could stand seeing Taylor Hebert's parents coming to yell at him and ask why he murdered their 5-year-old baby girl. That was more tolerable than knowing his dad wanted him to be charged for a murder he didn't do. And even that was more tolerable than thinking about Nicole.

"Don't you have anything to say?"

Ashton smirked and crossed his arms. "I won't miss you, Clive. In fact, good riddance."

Clive glared for a moment, but then sighed and straightened his sheriff uniform. "You will regret that soon enough, my boy. When you get to the state penitentiary, you'll wish you were back at home with me."

Beatings from this man flashed through Ashton's mind and he smiled. "I doubt that."

Clive sneered. "We'll just see about that," he said in a low, menacing voice. He walked away, leaving Ashton alone with his thoughts.

He slumped forward, elbows resting on his knees. His thoughts weren't the best company. He kept thinking about the last time he'd seen Nicole. She had agreed to marry him right before he was taken away. The look on her face was what he knew would haunt his dreams. He'd hurt her. Simple as that. It was all his fault, and that made him feel so much worse. His depression was creeping back. He vaguely wondered how bad it would be this time.

Footsteps came slowly down to the cell. He lifted his head and saw Officer Mason Spurlock. He looked like he hadn't slept last night. Mason ran his hand through his hair while he watched Ashton watch him. "I came when I heard." His Adam's apple bobbed when he swallowed. He looked down the hallway. "I don't know how to make it all stop."

Ashton stood and crossed to him. His legs were stiff from not moving all night or that morning after he got used to running miles nearly every day. "Help out Nicole," he told him in a low voice. "She knows what to do." I hope, he added to himself. "When you can, check on her for me? I know he won't let her come, and I don't want her to. The next time I see her, I want to be able to touch her without the bars between us." He sighed. His mind reminded him that he hadn't even been able to have their first kiss after he proposed. He shook his head.

Mason gave him a brief, small smile. "I don't think she'll like that much."

Ashton shrugged. "Maybe not, but I'm serious, Mason." He bit his lip. It was still split from when he was beaten by his dad just a few nights before, but it didn't hurt like it did. "If I tell you something, you can't tell my dad. Promise?"

He nodded. "I'll do what I can." Ashton pressed his lips together. Mason let out a breath. "I promise."

"Is there anyone else nearby?" Mason shook his head. "Nicole and I are engaged."

Mason grinned. "Congrats! That's awesome."

Ashton couldn't help the grin that threatened to split his face in two. "Thanks." Almost as quickly as it came it left. "If my dad finds out . . ." He looked at Mason.

He gave a single nod. "I know. Not good." A noise echoed down the hall, and he looked over. "Don't lose your balance when they put those chains on you and you walk inside. They're heavier than they look like they'll be."