𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞 | Recovering

"So, Gojo, I think you guys released the wrong grade of curse. Yaga meant second grade, not special grade."

Gojo and Shoko turned around in shock from where they had been conversing quietly in her office. They stared at Y/N, who was now sitting up on her infirmary bed with a devious smile.

"Gojo, you need to stop adopting these crazy children and recruiting them." Shoko shook her head at her former classmate and moved him out of her door frame so she could tend to Y/N.

"It is not my fault that the crazy ones like me!"

Y/N giggled at their tiff. The pain meds were slowly wearing away and her mind was still foggy. Naturally, silliness and sarcasm were the only things her brain could still process clearly.

She had another joke lined up and was about to tell it when Gojo's eyes met hers. Even in her state, she could recognize that his normal playful demeanor was gone. He looked stressed and upset.

Her face must have shown her thoughts because Shoko began to comfort her worries.

"He's had a long day as well. We've been worn thin by today's events," Shoko leaned in closer to whisper the end of her sentence, "And seeing the state you, Megumi, and the rest of the students were in was difficult for him. He doesn't handle seeing his loved ones hurt very well."

Y/N just nodded. She understood the doctor's words, but the rest of her mind wasn't processing them fast enough to give a proper response. While Shoko checked on her injuries Y/N found herself zoning out while staring at Gojo who had taken a seat in one of the waiting chairs against the far wall of the infirmary.

She was completely unaware of his perplexed face.

Is she trying to read my mind...?

He waved his hand in the air to no response.

What on earth is she thinking about?

The instructor began to space out into thought as well. The observation room had gone up in chaos after the charms burned. Everyone split up into several directions, desperate to get to the students.

Gojo recalled the moment when he and Utahime discovered the anti-him veil. She, as well as everyone else, could pass through just fine. Only he couldn't. He had done his best to keep it to himself, but the panic that surged through his veins upon realizing the situation wasn't a feeling that frequented him. Fears flooded his mind and all he could think about were his students and what they were trapped with. The incident with the volcano head curse was undeniably connected to this attack.

But why keep me out now? If I'm their target, why not trap me inside?

A horrible thought crossed his mind.

Am I only their final target?

His desperate attempts to destroy the veil took much longer than he had wanted. With every second that passed, the danger for those on the inside grew. Eventually, he broke through and rose above the forest to survey the situation.

In the end, the special grade sorcerer had been able to defeat the three special grade cursed spirits that had been lurking around. Victory came with a heavy cost though.

Itadori and Todo recounted how they found Maki, Megumi, and Y/N with Hanami- the forest curse. The duo of the Kyoto and Tokyo boys were able to exorcise Hanami but had been ambushed by the other two curses. Gojo was both impressed and terrified by how talkative they were after such an ordeal, but they chatted his ears off as he walked them out of the forest and to Shoko.