Chapter 7

Ezra's POV

Helplessness.

The feeling I despised the most in this world.

I had felt it for days, when my siblings and I had been held captive eight years ago, while we were being tortured, and then when their bodies gave up and they were dragged out of that cell.

I had felt it for seven years, watching my mother lay almost lifeless while my father trudged through life a shadow of himself, hiding his shattered heart behind an impassive façade.

Until Orla came by and snapped my world back into place.

But now, as she writhed in intense pain in my arms, I couldn't do anything about it. Not a damn thing.

Another jolt of her pain echoed through the bond, searing my chest as she clutched her own. Her back arched, tears streaming down her cheeks, her eyes screwed shut.

"Where's the damn doctor?!" Sam yelled. I was kneeling on the floor, everyone standing around us.

"One minute!" Ashley replied. Orla whimpered, turning her head into my chest.

"Shh. It's okay," I mumbled into her hair, cradling her closer. Pain pulsed through the bond in hot waves. It felt like someone was trying to claw my chest up from the inside.

"What could be wrong?" Blake asked someone in a hushed whisper.

"I have no idea," Zach replied.

My heart twisted with another explosive burst of pain. Orla screamed, clawing at her chest. I hugged her tighter to keep her from hurting herself. The smell of blood had me easing my hold to look at her.

Blood gushed out of her nose, her ears and her mouth.

"Oh my God..."

"Orla!! Orla, baby...!"

Then all tension left her body and she went limp.

"Orla!" I called, shaking her. "Oh God, no..."

I laid her down and tried listening for her heartbeat over my ringing ears. I knew she was still alive, I could feel the bond, and that was the only reason I hadn't burst out of my skin. But I had to hear her heartbeat. I held my breath and listened. The sound of her heart pierced through my panic. Thank God.

"Ezra."

I looked up, Haley was holding tissue for me, from a distance. Good call. I realized I was growling, but couldn't stop. I snatched the tissues and cleaned up the blood, my hands shaking and veins popping up under my skin. My wolf howled in the back of my mind, pushing for control.

The pain was less intense, but the bond still throbbed with it.

"Finally!" Sam said. The door opened, letting in the pack doctor. I knew her. But the new smell set my already panicked wolf on edge. My growl shook the ground when she approached Orla and me. I didn't want anyone else near my mate.

The doctor froze.

"Ezra, she needs to take a look at her," Zach said in a firm voice. "She's going to help her."

I closed my eyes, my jaw working. I gave a nod. The doctor knelt on Orla's other side.

I pushed some hair off of Orla's face. She looked too pale, and her skin was cold to the touch, but at least she was no longer clawing herself.

"Where's Hale and Vlad?" I asked without taking my eyes off the doctor who took Orla's pulse.

The doctor was still under the impression that Orla was human, as did anybody who wasn't part of our inner circle.