Chapter 16

Ezra's POV

Orla vanished. Relief punched me in the gut. Thank God she didn't argue.

"Olin?"

"I'm out," he linked me. "Orla linked me. This is the first time I bumped into a werewolf. I know there are no packs nearby."

"He must be just passing through," I replied, watching the werewolf through a gap in the shelf.

"Orla?"

"I'm back with Mom. Are you okay?" she asked, her voice faint through the bond.

"Yes, are you?"

"Yeah, just tired. Stay safe."

Olin had told us that teleportation was very magic consuming. The bigger the distance, the more magic it devoured.

The werewolf stopped and frowned, his nostrils working. He was young, a bit older than me. And he was an Alpha. I couldn't quite place him, but I must've met him before, which was expected since the world's alphas met up once a year in our pack.

The werewolf's clear eyes swung around.

He could probably smell me, if I could smell him. Which meant there was no use in hiding. I left my hiding spot and walked out of the aisle. The alpha's head whipped toward me. His eyes widened, and he dipped his head down. "Your highness."

I approached him. There were a couple of humans all the way down another section. But no one nearby.

"Alpha..."

"Smirnov," he said, standing straight with his hands clasped behind his back.

"Alpha Smirnov."

He raised his head. A slight frown tugged his dark brows down, his eyes flickering around. He could probably smell Orla on me.

"I wasn't aware you were in the region, your highness," Alpha Smirnov said, his Russian accent thick and his voice uncertain.

"I happened to drop by," I said. "I wasn't aware there are packs here."

"I'm traveling to another pack in the east of the country." His frown deepened. His chest moving up as he drew up a deeper breath. "Are you... alone, your highness?"

I raised my brows, fixing him with my gaze. He lowered his eyes.

"Then as you were," I said.

He dipped his head down and walked away. I watched him go through the aisles. He was still looking around. He definitely smelled them. Damn it.

Before I left the supermarket, I got the snacks Orla was eying and paid with my card. I found Olin in the spot we teleported to earlier. We immediately popped back to the cabin.

Orla was hugging me before my dizziness cleared up. I wrapped her in my arms and kissed her hair.

"Thank you for teleporting right away," I linked her.

She looked up and smiled. "You're welcome. I still don't like it, but I understand."

Vanessa and Orton looked grim, standing beside Olin. He sat down on the table and rubbed a hand down his face.

"I guess your first grocery trip to Russia didn't go as planned, Little Cherry."

Orla chuckled, shaking her head. She looked at me. "Who was the werewolf?"

"A Russian Alpha. He was traveling through," I said.

"Do you think he smelled us?" Olin asked me.

"I'm not sure. But he looked like he was suspecting something," I said. "For one, I usually have no reason to travel to that part of the world. There are no packs there, and I was all alone. I never travel alone. It's bound to raise some suspicions. Also, Orla's smell on me should be very distinctive."