Chapter 22

Half the week goes by, and Xie Lian is restless. He can't sleep. He can't eat. And he can't focus on anything. His duties become too much to bare and his temper becomes worse with each passing minute. Those who were now aware of him entirely and were around him during the exhibition were now alarmed by his sudden change. The only one who could recognize it were his two best friends. Mu Qing was seeing the same change that came to them so long ago when everything fell. When the empire of Xianle just toppled over like stacks of dominos.

And it made him anxious. The change just sent shivers up his spine, to the point that he couldn't bare to be seated beside him. Feng Xin, on the other hand, was more concerned about his friend's behavior. He wanted to know just what happened that night after they all left and what happened the morning after when this all began. He needed answers, and he knew better than to just ask Xie Lian. He needed to face the man in red himself.

Once their classes were over, he decided to look for him before anything else. Xie Lian, on the other hand, immediately left the school grounds and decided to go and see his therapist. He already had an appointment lined up, so all he needed to do was show up.

Upon arrival, Lan Xichen stood at the bottom of the steps to greet him. He walks over to him and sees the smile on his face. A smile that contained nothing but kindness.

"Xie Lian, I'm glad you're here. Shall we head inside?"

Xie Lian nods and joins him for the walk up the steps to the main building.

"You must be wondering why I waited for you on the front steps."

Xie Lian says nothing and keeps his gaze low.

"No, I wasn't asked to by Hua Cheng if that is your assumption. I came down due to my own concerns. And also because before you, I spoke with Hua Cheng over the phone for an hour. And he told me about your encounter that night..."

Xie Lian frowns.

"And yes, he gave me permission to discuss this...."

Xie Lian finally lifts his head and turns to him.

"Shall we discuss it all first upon arrival?"

Xie Lian nods in agreement.

Once the two were situated in his office, Xichen made sure to keep his notes on hand and his flute as well. He wanted to make sure that if he needed to, he would play to calm Xie Lian's nerves.

"So tell me....what are your thoughts about what had happened?"

Xie Lian sighs and rubs his forehead, "I volunteered to help him through his ordeal....and yet he sees it as if he had hurt me intentionally...."

"And what do you think?"

Xie Lian shakes his head.

"I don't see it that way... even if it was my first time -"

He cuts himself off as his thoughts drift to another memory.

"No...."

"Hm?"

Xie Lian's hand presses to his head as he feels the image come back to him. An image of himself pressed against a wall in fear. He was still young, a small teen in despair and misery. He remembers the hand that covered his lips. The arm that was clutching onto his body, holding him in place.

"Oh god... no no no..."

Xichen watched him closely.

"I remembered...."

"Describe what you remember... but take your time. Don't struggle to force yourself to recall something that is far too hurtful all at once."

Xie Lian's hands press to his eyes that are swelling up in tears.