29: Sweaty Palms

Brody's fingers bumped mine, making them twitch

Brody's fingers bumped mine, making them twitch. Before I registered the movement, Violet approached, waving a white piece of paper overhead. Her long silver chains bounced with her chest, jingling against each other and glinting in the sunlight. Wearing all-black, how was she not sweating?

"I did it!" she cried. "First place!"

"Ahh! Congratulations!" I squealed and rushed to her, wrapping my arms around her and squeezing her chest to mine in a smash of our breasts. "I knew you'd do it!"

"You were right." She pulled back with sparkles in her eyes. They glittered like sapphires, and her black lips stretched in an ear-to-ear smile. I snatched the paper and skimmed it while she cupped her cheeks, denting them with her black nails.

"First place," I read off, energy and pride bursting through me. "And two hundred dollars goes to Worst Impressions by Violet—"

"I can't believe it!" She snatched the paper back, reading in disbelief.

"Believe it," Brody spoke up for the first time since we reunited. He was sullen and quiet today, mentally stewing on something and clenching his hand at his side. Not at all a mood to match how well he played last night.

Only Vi's amazing, well-deserved win cracked his stoic expression.

"Can't wait to see them in the gallery," I gushed at Vi's photos hanging on the winner's wall, taking a picture of her with them. All of her photos were black, white, and moody, just like her.

"Getting on Mrs. Sullivan's radar is the real prize."

Every year, she offered fair winners quarterly paid internships at the Scotts Valley Art Studio to put together shows and teach beginner classes. Despite her self-deprecating modesty, Vi talked about it all week.

I couldn't stand still while we waited for Vi to speak to Mrs. Sullivan to accept her prize. I knew she'd won when they tagged her photo with a ribbon, but was so, so happy for her. Her smile went from relief to beaming with excitement.

"She wants me to teach some classes!" Vi beamed. "Outside of school, of course."

My cheeks were aching from smiling so much, and I reached out for one more hug. "Awesome, you'd be—"

"I need you and Brody to come to the couples' class," she murmured in my ear. "Tell me I can count on you."

Couples' class. The words deflated my excitement. Pretending at school was one thing, but us out in public was another. I'd confessed the truth to his mom because...I wasn't sure why, other than wanting her to be proud of him. Which was stupid, I couldn't control how other people thought or reacted.

Vi released our hug, and I swallowed. She was my best friend, so if she needed help then help I would give. I nodded and smiled at Brody, but he didn't return it. He and Xavi were speaking to Layla and Cassidy earlier. Xavi assured me it was nothing, but Brody looked so angry during the conversation and resembled a broody robot since. What happened?