47: The Grace Period

I couldn't focus on anything but Paige for four days straight

Something shifted between us. We never discussed what happened in her bed, how I kissed her forehead and recited the words I'd memorized for Vi's next video, how her mom was crying, and how her dad questioned me before I reached the bottom of the stairs.

Surprisingly, they let me stay in her room. While Paige took a quick shower, I showed her parents my acceptance letter, said I was staying until she felt better, and promised nothing would happen. We left the door open, and I left without saying a word.

Sorry wasn't how I felt for Paige. I left her driveway with clenched muscles and blurry vision. The Admissions people made a mistake, and my initial reaction was to call and threaten not to accept my offer unless they reversed the decision on hers. Instead, I drove aimlessly until the mush in my brain settled enough for me to return home and sleep.

Despite her dreams being crushed, it was one of the best nights of my life, and I felt horrible for feeling that way. Not because I laid in bed with Paige, feeling her pressed against me, but because of her trust and vulnerability. I didn't care if her eyes were red, her face swollen, and her hair messy. Touching her awoke raw, deep emotions in me. Rubbing and soothing her skin was so intimate. I'd never taken care of anyone else before, and it felt like I discovered a higher purpose in my life.

Paige's heart breaking while reading my acceptance letter broke mine, and it crumpled every time I thought about how much I didn't deserve it, and Paige did. She was supposed to go to Stanford, go on to med school, and help people. All I wanted was my selfish fulfillment. She told me I shouldn't feel like this, but I couldn't help but remain bitter.

Stanford didn't offer the scholarship details, and I postponed my video meeting with the AD Director Anderson for two weeks because I couldn't process anything Stanford-related without getting upset. He understood and said he was flexible.

Oregon and Oregon State jumped back on my radar when Stanford didn't accept Paige. Out-of-state tuition was much more expensive, but she resisted my urging and pleading. She did, begrudgingly, when I showed her the scholarship options and higher acceptance rates.

The subject, understandably, was very sore for poor Paige. She clammed up silent whenever school came up. Violet decided to stay behind to work at the art gallery, and Xavi had already planned his NYC exit before school started. Nia swam in the uncertainty pool with me and Paige, but we had time to decide.

Or I thought, until an option I couldn't refuse presented itself. I didn't know which direction our future was headed, but she needed to be in mine. And the perfect solution came from the most unimaginable source.

"So..." GM Strauss, a tall, broad-shouldered, gray-haired man I'd never met before, raised his eyebrows. "What do you think?"

What did I think? I couldn't think. His words, his offer, his team, and his possibility were unlike anything I'd ever heard of. There had to be a catch.