THREE

Right, we have mentors. I had been so worried about the games and the idea of my possible death that I had completely forgotten about the whole idea of having mentors. Mentors are the previous victors from your district that are supposed to help you train for the games, teach you everything you'd need to know in order to have a chance of coming home. Basically they would help prepare you for the games.

Now I was intrigued by who my mentor was, because, whoever they were, I'd need them.

"I'm glad you asked!" Stella smiles at Gill, "We were discussing this just before you and Oceana came." She seems more excited than anyone else for the games, but then again, it's probably because she comes from the Capitol. "So, for you Gill, Dover and Arno will be your mentors, so you can spend some time getting to know each other. I trust that you will get along well," she claps her hands together. "And for you, Oceana, Finnick and Coral will be your mentors. Same thing for you three, get to know each other and most importantly, don't forget to prepare for the games!"

Gill and I give a nod as I try to hold back a laugh upon seeing Adriana cringe slightly at Stella's upbeat behaviour. If there's one thing I know, it's that I'd never be so excited for a game in which 24 kids fight to their deaths for only one to emerge victorious and alive. For the citizens of the Capitol, however, the idea seemed to be the complete opposite.

Soon, supper comes. It comes in courses. Cod, green salad, steak and mashed potatoes, cheese and fruit, chocolate cake. Right now, I'm starving, so I'm eating as much of it as I can and Gill seems to do the same, though Stella reminds us from time to time not to stuff ourselves too full as there's more to come. The initial awkwardness which surrounded the table lifts as everyone talks to each other, mostly asking questions of us.

"So, what do you guys usually do?" Adrianna asks. "Any hobbies?" She looks at Gill and then me, waiting for one of us to reply, thankfully Gill does it first.

"I mostly just spend my time training in the academy," he replies. I'm not surprised at this fact. "But when I can, I mostly go to the Centre with my friends."

Adrianna nods before turning to me, "How about you, Oceana?"

"Well, I like to surf," I can't help but smile at the thought of surfing, "I usually go diving or snorkelling as well. If not, I read some books and go to the Centre as well."

"Surf?" Dover pipes in, curious.

"Yes," I nod, "I usually wake up early in the morning to catch a couple waves before school starts and on the weekends I spend almost all day at the beach if I can," I further elaborate.

"That's pretty cool," he smiles, "I rarely see anyone surf! Well, mostly because none of these guys can surf. I've been dying to learn how to!" Dover lets out a laugh as he nudges Coral, "see, I told you it was a thing people still do!" Coral rolls her eyes but has a smile on her lips as she shakes her head slightly before eating a bite of her food. "Who do you usually surf with?"

One by one, more and more questions come flooding in, which I all happily respond to. I'm always happy when it comes to talking about my interests and the things I like but I can tell Gill is getting a little bored so I shift their attention to him as I continue eating my food.

As soon as the meal's over, we go to another compartment in order to watch a replay of all the reapings, starting from District 1 and going all the way down to 12. We watch the reapings one by one and I examine the tributes closely. A few stand out to me. In District 1, both tributes had quickly pounced at the opportunity to volunteer, as the cameras zoom in on them, you can tell that they are more than confident in their abilities to win the games. It is the same with District 2. They all have a strong build and all seem rather confident. District 6 has a rather shy girl with frizzled brown hair. A girl with black hair comes from District 7, she somehow reminds me of Aurora in terms of her demeanour and size. It seems as though I'm the youngest tribute in the games as we finish watching all the reapings, the program ending.