ELEVEN

"Good job, out there," Gill smiles as we enter the empty elevator together. The crowd throughout the city has slowed down the cars containing the stylists, mentors and chaperones, so it'll be just the two of us until they've arrived.

"You too," I smile back as we walk out onto our floor. "You did really well on the interview questions, the crowd really loved you."

"So did you," Gill laughs, "that applause you got? That was probably the loudest one tonight."

I smile shyly and nod– I can't deny it, I know that it's true. Silence falls upon the both of us as we wonder about what to say. "The games are tomorrow," I say, although my voice comes out a little soft.

"Yeah," Gill nods, "everything we've been preparing for."

"Yeah," I reply and try to figure out what to say but before I can do so, the elevator opens to reveal the rest of District 4 and our stylists who are beaming at us.

"Well done, you too," Stella is more than overjoyed, it's clear in her voice. "Both of you were just excellent!"

Finnick walks over to me and takes a seat besides me, putting his arm around my shoulders. "Well done, Oce, that was amazing!" I can't help but smile at his words as I turn my head slightly and glance at him– he's smiling with pride as his dimples poke the sides of his cheeks. "I'm so proud of you, I know it wasn't easy," he whispers barely loud enough only for me to hear as he looks at me.

"Thank you," I smile as I lean my head on his shoulder as I watch Dover and Arno praise Gill for the way he handled his interview. I must admit, Gill had also managed to impress me with his charismatic responses which made the crowd absolutely adore him. It's only when Valeria walks up to me that I lift my head up from Finnick's shoulder and sit properly as she pulls me up from my spot on the couch to embrace me into a tight hug.

"You did so well!" She squeals, "I told you not to let a little stage fright get in the way of you shining!"

"Thank you," I smile at Valeria who grins at me brightly. Everyone is in high spirits despite the games being tomorrow but I don't mind– I want to enjoy one last bit of joy before I'm thrown into the arena to fight for my life. Adrianna, Coral and Mags all praise me as they admire and touch the dress I still have on, saying how good my interview had went and how beautiful I look in the dress. Soon, it's time for our last dinner together and we make our way to the dinner table. Tonight's dinner looks more grand than usual but that is probably because it's our last meal together.

The fact that this could be the last time I see Finnick or Coral or Stella or any of the victors who have done nothing but treat me with kindness and graciousness now makes me sad. I had grown close to them, some more than the others, but I've now realised how much they mean to me now. The thought of this being the last time all of us would have dinner together makes me emotional but I can't help but wonder how they will handle watching the games as they try to gather sponsorships for us. Will they watch in pain or with pride?

Suddenly, the delicious food seems unappetising although I do my best to eat as much of it as I can as I try to stay present in the conversations despite my wandering mind. The dinner table, like any other night, is filled with light-hearted chatter and laughter but the heaviness in the air is very much present– more so than other nights. Still, it's enjoyable as I talk to Adrianna, Coral and Mags. I'm more talkative than usual, according to Clifford, but everyone doesn't seem to mind. I'm eating and talking peacefully until Adrianna makes a comment about an incident back home which causes me to nearly choke on my food, my eyes widening in surprise. "What?"

"Yes, I know! It's crazy," she laughs, "it's hilarious, though, just picture this– at least a dozen dogs chasing this guy as you're trying to peacefully have lunch!"