Chapter 1

A hard slap could be heard throughout the whole palace with some laughter.

AAAAHHH!!!

She looks up to see him standing there, he had slapped her. He was her fiancé and she was his. Just a daughter of a noble duke from 1749, a girl who had lost her mother since the day she had been born, her father was nothing more than a workaholic and a wealthy duke in this kingdom. Her beauty and tragic life made her name known.

Lady Claire Delevigne.

A girl with pale skin, rosy cheeks, big innocent looking brown eyes, pouty lips, long silky shiny black-colored hair with curls at the bottom. Also known as the kingdom's beauty.

4 Years ago, 27 February 1745

"Milady... milady please wake up"

A soft voice was heard from outside the bedroom but before she could even answer a maid walked in. The room was huge... you could tell by looking that it belonged to someone of high class, just seeing the furniture and the decoration pieces... it looked expensive. The walls are painted in a light blueish color and has golden ornaments decorated on it. Not even speaking of how big and comfortable the bed looked, it was painted white and again had the golden decorations on it, making it look elegant.

The maid strove to the big windows, she opened the curtains, letting a wave of light coming through.

"W-what are you doing?" She asked confused, it was quite unusual for her maids to act without a notice unless it has a good reason for it... but what could it be? It was still too early for them to come in and wake her up so what was the reason?

"I am sorry milady, but you have to get ready for today's event!" The maid looked rather happy and excited as she spoke. 'An event? What event?' She immediately got out the bed and walked towards the maid.

"What event are you talking about?"

The maid looked at her, she for a moment was taken aback as she saw her beautiful face. The lady was still young and absolutely breathtaking, it would be rather strange for such a young girl and noble lady to not get engaged... especially looking at her, with those big innocent looking eyes that looked just like a deer's.

The maid chuckled for a bit and smiled

"Milady, don't you know? You are getting engaged!" The maid let out a squeal of excitement before grabbing her hands and pulling her towards the mirror.

Claire looked confused as she looked at her own reflection. Just a young girl about 14 years old, bare footed and only wearing her night gown, her long beautiful dark shiny locks that curled at the bottom as it laid over shoulders, her cheeks blushed a light pinkish color, and her eyes were a dark brown which made her appear innocent.

"WHAT?! Engaged... but I am only 14, and besides my father hasn't even uttered a single word about it. He would never do such a thing without my knowledge"

Eventhough she didn't want to believe it, it did however feel like it could be possible. Not that it was unusual for a girl born into nobility and with such wealth, besides many other noble ladies her age were getting engaged and would be married off when they turn 18.

The sad truth in society is that it's all they are, products to be sold off when you are in your prime, how better your background and appearance the higher the price.

The maid started brushing the young lady's hair as she spoke. "It is true milady, the duke has agreed upon marrying you to the young prince! Isn't that great?" the maid smiled, probably imagining what a cute pair she and the young prince would make.

'Engaged to the prince?!!' Her eyes widened at the thought, she had never met the prince in person but it has been said that he is handsome and amongst his older brothers... he has the most potential as future heir because of his competitive assertive nature. Only one year older was he and upon thinking she should have expected it.

"You mean prince Alexander?"

"Of course, milady. I am sure you will get to love him!"

The maid took out one of Claire's dresses, it was a light blue gown with ruffles at the bottom and at the sleeves. There was also embroidery above the ruffles and at the upper area. The fabric was an expensive silk that only those of high status could afford. The maid put it infront of her lady as to picture which dress would look better on her.

"The blue or pink one, milady?"

The young lady frowned, how could her maid be so calm and choosing her dress when this was the first time someone mentioned it. She quickly pushed the dress aside and looked up at her maid.

"Neither, I am not going to meet my new "fiancé". I wish to speak to father."

The maid's smile slowly faded away and put the dresses down on the bed, she spoke in a soft almost sad tone.

"The duke? He is on a business trip, milady."

----

After lady Claire had been born her mother died right after childbirth, the doctors told him it was because of blood loss. But whatever the reason, the duke could not bear the loneliness and loss of his beloved wife. They had been married like how their parents had planned out, engaged since children and married when grown up, right after inheriting the dukedom. He had already imagined it, their life in this huge mansion and their future children running around the house, sadly it all ended because of one... the sole daughter of the duke.

Years passed by and saw his lovely daughter growing up, she looked just like her. To the eyes, hair, lips and whole body... just like hers once looked like. Even with the face of his love, he couldn't get himself to forgive his daughter but he also felt guilty for feeling this resentment towards her. So instead of giving her the love of a father, he would spoil her with presents whether it was beautiful dresses, expensive jewelry or dolls.

The maids would always have a feeling of pity towards the young lady, she had no one in the big mansion. No brothers, no sisters, no mother and no father. Her room would be filled with presents, toys all over her floor, dresses filled her closet, and jewelry in every single drawer even if she could do nothing with it.

There was this one time her nanny recalled,

"Sophie?" Asked the young girl dressed in pink with her stuffed bunny in one hand, she was only 5 at the time.

"Yes milady?" The nanny smiled as she was picking up the dolls and toys that laid across the room.

"Will father ever love me?"

Her nanny stopped for a moment and let all the toys she held slip out of her hands, how could such a young girl having so much sadness in her life? No-one, not even a girl this young should go through this.

The nanny quickly strove to her for a hug and held her tightly, from that day on... even if they are all servants they would try their best to make the lady happy no matter what

-----

"A business trip you say?" Of course he would be on a business trip, after all that is what he only does.

"Yes milady"

There was a moment of silence before a disappointed sigh was heard. "I see... then I have no other option but to meet my new fiancé"

The maid's sorrowful face quickly turned into a radiant smile, she fastly picked up the blue satin gown and helped her lady in it all the while making sure she'd look absolutely breathtaking.

The corset would be tighter than normal, her petticoat and underskirt fluffier and more voluminous, her hair had been put up in a matching blue satin ribbon to complement the dress. The make up would be subtle but enhancing her natural beauty, making her eyelashes a shade darker and lightly applying more blush to her cheeks with some rosewater over her lips to get a pink color.

"Aaaah milady looks so pretty!!" She beamed, even if her lady might not have been blessed with her family and circumstances... she is however blessed with her genes.

The young girl's face became red from the way how her maid exaggerated, she hated it when she was in the middle of attention but appreciated her maid's words so thereby she smiled back.

"Alright let's just go now" She turned and walked towards the door to leave.

"W-wait milady!!" Her maid came running after her with an aqua blue bottle, she looked back at her as she frowned her eyebrows in confusion.

"I forgot to spray perfume on the lady" the maid continued with a smile and sprayed the sweet aroma scent on the girl.