Chapter 13

(Everybody loves a clown, S2 E2)

Erica sat on the front porch of Bobby's house, watching the thunderstorm growing in the distance.

"Sitting out here with all your friends?" Dean said sarcastically, snickering at his own joke as he sat down next to Erica.

"Yeah, like you have any friends either," Erica muttered, "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, well- somebody tried to call our dads phone last night. They left a voicemail, said something about having something that might help our dad." Dean explained, picking at a loose thread on his jacket.

Erica observed the concerned expression on his face and the slight shaking of his leg. "I'm guessing they didn't say what that something was?" "Nope, but I guess Bobby knows who it was. He gave us their address."

"Carride?"

Dean rolled his eyes, "What it is with you and car rides? You're like a dog."

"Hey, I enjoy the freedom of the open road! It's like a breath of fresh air in a life that's insanely claustrophobic." Erica replied with an airy laugh.

"Does your life feel claustrophobic?" "Oh- no, no- not anymore. College- college was kind of like that, and after Jessie died, but being with you and Sam has made it better."

Dean nodded, breaking eye contact with Erica and looking towards the treeline.

"I'm sorry about what happened in the hospital. I shouldn't have said what I said."

Erica sighed, leaning her elbows on her knees and resting her head on her hands.

"No- I'm sorry. I didn't respond the way I should've, the way I wish I could've. Me and you, Dean, maybe in another life, but in this one? We have to prioritize hunting. We can't- we can't connect like that. It'll screw us over in the long run, you know that."

"Yeah- yeah, you're right," Dean sighed, "Well, ready for a car ride?"

°•■•°•■•°•■•°•■•°

"I feel like a friggin soccer mom." Dean grumbled as he pulled into the dirt parking lot of the 'Road House' in a minivan.

"It's the only car Bobby had running." Sam replied with a snicker.

"Yeah, Dean, you sound like a 5 year old." "5 year olds can't drive." He muttered back, gently shoving Erica out of his way so he could go in the door first.

"Hey, Sam, did you bring the.. thing?" Dean questioned before Sam tossed him the object.

"I take back my previous statement about Dean acting like a 5 year old. You bother act like toddlers," Erica muttered, looking around the Roadhouse, "Hello? Anyone here?"

Sam silently gestured to a guy passed out on a pool table. "I'm gonna take a bold guess and say that isn't Ellen." Dean muttered, making Erica smirk.

Sam and Erica walked into the backroom while Dean further investigated the front room.

Erica peaked in a cabinet filled with alcohol before Sam muttered her name, and she turned around to find a woman pointing a rifle at them.

"Sam? Sunshine? I need a little help out here!" Dean called from the parlor.

"Sorry Dusky, we're a little wrapped up back here." Erica replied sarcastically, looking the blonde in front of her dead in the eye.

She gestured for them to walk out of the backroom, Sam obledging instantly while Erica rolled her eyes before obledging too.