Chapter 15

(Everybody loves a Clown, S2 E2)

Erica and Dean walked off in the way that Sam had gone, only holding each other's sleeves rather than hands.

Suddenly, Sam ran towards them, immediately beginning to explain what happened when he left.

"There's a real human skeleton the carnival's been carrying around since the time the murders started, and some kid said she saw a clown, but nobody else did. We need to get to that kids house- wait a minute- are you guys holding hands?"

"Oh- no, no, she was just holding my sleeve- you know, because she's nervous in crowds-" Dean rambled, him and Erica instantly letting go of each other's sleeves

Sam looked between the two, a smirk on his face, "Mhm, whatever you say."

°•■•°•■•°•■•°•■•°

The trio sat in the van, Sam and Dean intently watching the little boy's house while Erica lay stretched across the back seat, humming Free Bird by Lynard Skynard.

"Sam, I can not believe you told
Papazian about the homicidal
phantom clown." Dean muttered.

"I told him an urban legend about a
homicidal phantom clown. I never
said it was real," Sam sassed back as Dean cocked his gun. "Dusky, keep that down!" Erica hissed, sitting up and leaning against the front seat.

"Oh, and get this, I mentioned the
Bunker Brothers Circus in '81 and their evil clown apocalypse? Guess what?" Sam asked with a cocky grin.

"Oh, do tell." Erica muttered, Dean snickering and Sam giving her a bitch-face.

"Before Mr. Cooper owned Cooper
Carnival, he worked for Bunker
Brothers. He was their lot manager."

"So, you think whatever the spirit's
attached to, Cooper just brought it with him?" Erica ventured, Sam nodding in response.

"Something like that, yeah."

The three were plunged into silence as they all watched the house in front of them.

"You know I wouldn't judge you guys if you started dating, right?" Sam assured.

"Ew- what? No- we're not-" Dean stuttered, chuckling awkwardly as Erica confirmed his words.

"Uh huh..- wait, guys, I see something." Sam said, pointing towards somebody sneaking into the house.

The trio left the car and snuck into the house, their guns cocked.

"Do you guys have any idea how illegal this is?" Erica whispered, making both brothers roll their eyes.

"Believe me, this is child's play compared to some of the shit we've done." Dean mumbled back, the Brunette taking a subtle step away from him.

"Want to see mommy and daddy?" The trio heard the little girl say.

The three jumped out of hiding, Erica pulling the little girl back into the hallway while Sam and Dean attacked the clown, Dean attempting to shoot it.

"Sam, watch out!" Dean yelled as he shot the clown again before it jumped out of the window.

"What the hell is going on here?" The girls dad yelled as her mother came running down the stairs after them.

Erica tried her best to push the kid gently towards her parents as Erica, Dean, and Sam ran out.

"Last time I do that shit with you guys." She grumbled, making Dean glare at her in the rearview before driving off.

°•■•°•■•°•■•°•■•°

The van was parked on the side of the road as the three got their stuff out of it, Dean taking off the license plate.

"Do you really think they saw the plate?" Sam asked as Dean threw it into a ditch.

"I dont wanna take the chance. Besides, I hate this piece of shit anyway." He grumbled in reply as the trio began walking down the side of the road.

"Well, one thing's for sure," Erica said as Dean and Sam looked at her, "We're not dealing with a spirit. Dean, I heard that rocksalt from your gun hit something solid. Sam also punched it for some reason, and last time I checked, you can't punch a ghost."

"Whatever," Sam grumbled in reply, "Maybe a person? Or maybe a creature that can make itself invisible?"

"If it was a person, it would have started bleeding when Dean shot it." Erica replied.

"Does dad's journal have anything about carnival freaks?" Dean asked.

"Unfortunately, no." Sam replied as he pulled out his phone. "Who are you calling?" Erica asked, leaning over his shoulder to see.

Sam nudged her off his shoulder, "Just Ellen. Maybe her or Ash'll know something. Hey, you think dad and Ellen ever had a thing?"

"No way."

"Then why didn't he tell us about her?"

"I don't know, maybe they had some
sort of falling out."

"Yeah, you ever noticed dad had a
falling out with just about everybody?" Sam replied.

Dean stayed silent, Erica glancing at both brothers, choosing not to say anything as this was a family issue, and she had no place in that.

"Don't get all Maudlin on me."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Dean shot back, halting to a stop.

"I'm talking about this whole 'strong silent' thing you have going on. It's bullshit."

Dean groaned, "What the hell-" "I'm over it. This isn't just anyone we're talking about, this is dad. I know how you felt about the man."

"You know what, back off, alright? Just because I'm not caring and sharing like you want me to-"

"No, no, no, that's not what this is
about, Dean. I don't care how you deal with this. But you have to deal with it, man. Listen, I'm your brother, all right? I just want to make sure you're okay."

"Dude, I'm okay. I'm okay, okay? I
swear the next person who asks me
if I'm okay, I'm gonna start throwing
punches. These are your issues, quit
dumping them on me!" Dean shot back, getting pissed off.

Sam glared at Dean, "What the hell do you mean 'your issues'? What issues do I have?"

Erica cursed under her breath, "Guys-"

"I just think it's really interesting, this sudden obedience you have to dad. It's like 'Oh, what would dad want me to do?' Sam, you spent your entire life slugging it out with that man. I mean, hell, you picked a fight with him the last time you ever saw him."

"Why the hell are you saying any of this anyways?" Sam asked, taking a deep breath so as to try not snap at Dean again.

"Because I want you to be honest with yourself about this. I'm dealing with dad's death, are you?"

"I'm gonna call Ellen." Sam mumbled, walking off a little bit, leaving Dean and Erica alone.

"I'm sorry." Dean mumbled, looking at Erica. "Why are you apologizing to me?"

"Because you have to put up with me and Sam's shit, and never once have you complained about it." He replied.

Erica looked over at Sam, who was still on the phone.

"Apologize to him. He's the one who needs to hear it."