Chapter 3 - Rebel

-

.- ... .- . .-..

"You ready?"

With another inhale, I force a small smile and shrug. "I guess."

"That's no way to answer meeting your soon-to-be-wife." Remi brushes something off my coat and sighs, holding onto my tie. "Your tie is loose. Better make the best impression, no?"

Again, I only shrug and let her adjust my tie. Once done, she admires her work and gushes more about Raphaela. I just nod and look elsewhere, searching for a particular dirty blonde-haired woman, hoping to catch a quick look at what she's like. Our courtyard is almost unrecognizable, with lights hanging over trees and columns brightening up the evening, the draperies and seats all an elegant cream color, and the swarming guests everywhere you turn to lounging or talking amongst themselves.

Usually, I would be with some of my colleagues near the foyer to the living room, like the other day and yesterday, but Remi pulled me to the east porch for her so-called fateful meeting with my future wife. She insists that I have been spending all my time with the guests staying over the actual wedding. But what does she expect me to do? As per tradition, I, as the groom, will have to entertain the guests throughout the first three days before the wedding and during the ceremony itself.

My eyes linger on the west porch, the only area without many people. It's the way to the annex of the mansion, where the bedrooms are, where my room is—where Lucifer is.

He was nowhere to be found when I woke up. He did leave a note saying he'll wait for me there by seven in the evening. When I glance at the clock at the top center of the back foyer, I squint. It's five minutes before seven. And I'm still here idling around.

I need to get rid of him quickly. Who knows how bad things will be if everyone finds the devil himself existing in the same breath?

I purse my lips and close my eyes. Is that all there is to it? A part of me tells me I'm not being honest. Is that the only reason I want to get out of here? Then again, it's not like I have a choice. I'm marrying for the sake of my family. And I'll be working on sending Lucifer back to hell to ensure the wedding doesn't go by without a hitch. Or am I?

What if I just wanted to find an excuse to escape out of these chains after all?

I shake my head. For a second, I hoped Lucifer was there to tell me whether my words were lies. Because even I don't know.

"Asalie!" Remi hisses, nodding her head toward the side entry of the courtyard.

There she is. Dirty blonde hair draped over a simple silk dress matching the color scheme of the place—cream—with hands clutching onto a pouch and looking directly at me with pursing lips and nervous but shining blue eyes.

I blink as she's finally standing a meter ahead of me. She isn't saying anything. Should I start?

"Asalie." Remi nudges me from the side before smiling at Raphaela. "Glad you made it safe here, Rafa!"