Chapter 6 - Repercussion

-

.- ... .- . .-..

Finally finding my voice after swallowing, I breathe only one word in question:

"Lucifer?"

He tilts his head. "Incidentally, you forgot to remind me about the tied sheets in the guest room," he says, his voice quiet and deep, almost dismissive. "But worry not. While you were gone, I went back to fix it."

"You what?" I hiss. "I thought you said you'd stay put this time? What if someone came in then? What if you got caught then?"

He rolls his eyes. "Does it look like I got caught?"

"Even so. You should be more careful!"

"You're telling me that?"

"Remind me again whose life is in danger between us."

"Salie, Salie, Salie." One of his hands rests on the door beside my head, almost trapping me. Then, his other hand's fingers touch my chin. "You have absolutely no right to say that so carelessly when the devil is this close to you." His fingers grip my jaw. "Close enough for you to be beyond just in danger. Don't you think so?"

"If he meant me harm, he could've done it yesterday," I say, one hand latching onto the surface of my door behind me and the other gripping the folder like my sanity depended on them while my mind replays his words about how my air feels to him. I give him a crooked smile. "Don't you think so?"

His fingers shift until his thumb is on my chin, the nail lightly scraping my bottom lip. His gaze on mine moves to my lips, then he squints. I swear I will run out of breath if he keeps giving me these looks.

With a slight chuckle, his thumb touches my lower lip and pulls on it gently. "You should be grateful we established a contract before you started acting so brazenly." He lets go and turns away. Then I exhale a heavy breath, pressing my lips together in an inhale afterward to calm my nerves.

Actually, I'm not as scared of him because I gained knowledge of his vulnerability outside hell, not because of the contract. He may just kill me if I say that, though.

"Any new information?" he asks, definitely watching me from somewhere in the room even as I switch the lights off.

I try to ignore his stares at my behind as I approach my wardrobe and begin to undress in the dark.

"No."

"Did they suspect you?"

"Probably." I slip into fresh, comfortable pajamas and pull on my hair tie, my blonde locks draping on my shoulders. "Don't worry, though. I have someone I trust who covers for me."

He doesn't answer. When I finish and turn around, he's lying on one side of the bed, hands on his stomach and his eyes shut.

I press my arms on the bed and squint at him. "Why are you there?"